CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: software questions

Posted by workaholic_ro
on 2002-04-19 17:00:23 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "starcast82" <rh@g...> wrote:
> I'm new at this so bear with me. From my understanding of CNC
> software, If I use AutoCad I am basically drawing the toolpath of
the
> cnc and not the object itself ? Is there a program where you draw
the
> object and then the computer plots all the paths and does all the
> calculations determined by cutting width of your tool(Is this what
> CAM program is) ? Is there a difference between a CAD program and a
> CAM program ? I currently have Autocad and TurboCNC and trying to
> decide how it fits together and if there is other recommended
> software to use or if I need a CAM program also. Thanks for the
help.

Of course there is a difference as long as they have differnt names:
CAD = Computer Aided Design
CAM = Computer Aided Machining
I think there is no need for further explanations what is each good
for.
To follow paths there is no much need for a sophisticated software.
All the old plotters (with pens) are doing this, usually the files
beeing written in the well-known HPGL language, which is nothing else
than a text file containing simple instructions and coordinates.
Cutter plotters for vinyl are doing the same thing except the
cheaper "drag" ones which need a path correction due to the offset of
the tool. Simple 2D mills can work as well.
For proffesional machining are used different languages.
Now, if you use Autocad, an excelent tool in my opinion (I use a
version with mechanical libraries - "Mechanical Powerdesk") you know
how it works. The CAM software must take the design files or export
formats and prepare them for machining. As long as CAD understands
the pens settings (width, color) a good CAM software must accept tool
setings. And more, it must set tool change; there are CNC machining
centers with more then 30 tool storage capacity. On the other hand
there are no universal machining golden rules for CAM, so each CNC
manufacturer can develop his own system.
In my opinion, in the first place you have to decide how complex is
going to be your work and what parts do you want to make. There is
much difference between plates engraving and complex three
dimensional parts. After that you can choose what mill and what
software you need.

Regards,
Workaholic_ro

Discussion Thread

starcast82 2002-04-19 13:57:22 UTC software questions wanliker@a... 2002-04-19 16:46:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] software questions workaholic_ro 2002-04-19 17:00:23 UTC Re: software questions stevenson_engineers 2002-04-19 18:30:50 UTC Re: software questions Ray Henry 2002-04-20 05:17:56 UTC Re: software questions ballendo 2002-04-20 05:31:49 UTC Re: software questions imserv1 2002-04-20 07:12:10 UTC Re: software questions follicely_challenged 2002-04-20 14:09:26 UTC Re: software questions