CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: software questions

Posted by ballendo
on 2002-04-20 05:31:49 UTC
Hello Ray, Starcast,

I agree, the part should be drawn to size first. BUT... using another
layer (in ACAD)for the toolpath will allow for offsetting from the
part and subsequent gcode creation. Or not, as many controls accept
other formats besides gcode, such as HPGL. Or DXF. No need for Vector
at all in many cases.

So Starcast, you CAN do toolpaths with AutoCAD. Not for all parts,
but for many. But DO draw the PART geometry first. This will allow
you to create multiple offsets and do those things Ray is able by
virtue of his CNC controls' capability for cutter radius compensation.

I also agree that having a control with G41,42 cutter radius
compensation is a nice thing. However, Not everybody has such a
control. And although it may sometimes be more work, you can
get "there" without Vector OR EMC...

Hope this helps,

Ballendo

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Ray Henry <rehenry@u...> wrote:

> Starcast
>
> I gotta say that there has been a lot of talk about drawing parts
to the path
> size rather than real size. This surely does rub me the wrong
way. I draw
> the part to the size that I want and then use my CNC's (EMC's) tool
diameter
> offset commands to make the cuts. That way I can easily adjust for
reground
> cutters without having to go back to Vector and run a new batch of
gcode.
> And I can put in several tool diameters for the same real tool and
use
> different offsets for different places on the part if I need to
tweek.

> Ray
>

> >    From: "starcast82" <rh@g...>
> >
> > I'm new at this so bear with me. From my understanding of CNC
> > software, If I use AutoCad I am basically drawing the toolpath of
the
> > cnc and not the object itself ? Is there a program where you draw
the
> > object and then the computer plots all the paths and does all the
> > calculations determined by cutting width of your tool(Is this
what a
> > CAM program is) ? Is there a difference between a CAD program and
> > CAM program ? I currently have Autocad and TurboCNC and trying to
> > decide how it fits together and if there is other recommended
> > software to use or if I need a CAM program also. Thanks for the
help.

Discussion Thread

starcast82 2002-04-19 13:57:22 UTC software questions wanliker@a... 2002-04-19 16:46:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] software questions workaholic_ro 2002-04-19 17:00:23 UTC Re: software questions stevenson_engineers 2002-04-19 18:30:50 UTC Re: software questions Ray Henry 2002-04-20 05:17:56 UTC Re: software questions ballendo 2002-04-20 05:31:49 UTC Re: software questions imserv1 2002-04-20 07:12:10 UTC Re: software questions follicely_challenged 2002-04-20 14:09:26 UTC Re: software questions