CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC recommendation request

Posted by ballendo
on 2002-04-28 04:48:31 UTC
Nick,

I'm a Haas fan also... They're not Rolls Royce, but they are
dependable, accurate, and well designed/priced, IMO.

I don't own a mini or the toolroom mill, but I did spend
awhile "playing with them" at Westec 2002. And I have spent a fair
amount of time in front of their larger machines.

I have to Echo What Marcus said. If you can swing it, get the mini
over the toolroom. Once you USE the cnc, the handles will just get in
the way/be wasted. And cnc machines of this caliber don't fail often;
making the "just in case" argument moot, IMO. Depends on what you are
making, but usually your toolpaths and parts get "complexicated"
beyond what you would be capable of manually, or would want to try to
mill by hand anyway, soon after learning the CNC.

Next, I DEFINITELY agree with his recommendation of the enclosed mini
over the open toolroom... But again, you know your parts, and HAAS
would not have made the toolroom model if it didn't have a market,
IMO. (But be aware that market just might be more an attempt to give
customers "what they want" rather than "what they need". In other
words, the toolroom model may have handwheels just SO you'll buy it;
with HAAS knowing all along that you won't end up using them... And
it lets them leave off the enclosure; turning a cost reduction into
a "feature".)

Hope this helps,

Ballendo

P.S. I like Fadals also. They are bringing out "competing" models to
the HAAS introductions. Worth a look, IMO.

Lastly, you mentioned not wanting to do a retrofit, but also gave the
enclosure of a VMC as partial reason?! Does this conflict with the
choice above? Are you just trying to convince yourself that the
machine you can afford is the best choice? If so, look into a
different type of retrofit: New control on an older "used" VMC
(enclosed, toolchanger, etc). Could be pretty inexpensive, out-of-
pocket-wise. But it WILL take time. Which can you afford more? I'd
look at the refurbished machines available from Fadal ans HAAS. (not
as highly advertised, but available.)

I really like the HAAS control.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "nickseman" <namlacd@y...> wrote:
> Marcus:
>
> Thanks for the reply. If I do go the HAAS route it is good to hear
> such resounding support for the brand. As most of what I will be
> cutting is either small dimensionally, or light metals (or both) I
> won't probably have very much weight on the table. Do you think
that
> in that situation the Toolroom mill would probably be acceptable.
> did kind of like the inclusion of the handwheels just in case they
> were ever needed - do you think they will present any problems?
>
> Nick

Discussion Thread

nickseman 2002-04-26 17:16:09 UTC CNC recommendation request Marcus & Eva 2002-04-26 19:32:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC recommendation request methadras 2002-04-27 01:49:56 UTC Re: CNC recommendation request Marcus & Eva 2002-04-27 09:25:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CNC recommendation request Bill Darby 2002-04-27 09:30:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CNC recommendation request nickseman 2002-04-27 09:33:06 UTC Re: CNC recommendation request John Walters 2002-04-27 09:34:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CNC recommendation request wayne_j_hill 2002-04-27 09:38:31 UTC Re: CNC recommendation request Marcus & Eva 2002-04-27 16:08:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CNC recommendation request ballendo 2002-04-28 04:48:31 UTC Re: CNC recommendation request ballendo 2002-04-28 04:54:06 UTC Re: CNC recommendation request methadras 2002-04-29 18:50:18 UTC Re: CNC recommendation request methadras 2002-04-29 18:51:56 UTC Re: CNC recommendation request