CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: recon Jap computers

Posted by keongsan
on 2002-05-04 03:01:22 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Ian W. Wright" <Ian@i...> wrote:

> This should not be a problem as the characters produced by the
keyboard are
> governed (normally) by a keyboard map within the operating system.
In MS
> windoze this is under 'control panel / international settings' and
similarly
> in Linux / KDE.

Let's see if I got that correct. It is only what appear on the
monitor screen that is different? The signal that goes to the output
(serial/parallel port) would be the same?

For example: Depressing the key L if in, say, notepad, would cause a
character L to appear, while, in a controller program, would send a
signal to the parallel port that causes the tool to jog left. (no
problem either way.

Just for illustration sake, if the controller program uses the key ;
to send the signal to the parallel port to move left, this would
still not cause a problem, because the same signal is sent, but the
only difference would be, had we been using notepad, some character
other than ; (for example ') would have appeared. The tool would
still have jog left by design?

> Over here in the UK we often have to change this setting as most
software
> seems, for some reason beyond my comprehension, to assume that
everyone
> wants to use the Americanised version of English ;o)
>
> Best wishes,
> Ian
> --
>
> Ian W. Wright
> Sheffield, UK

BTW, would you by one in a million chance be that Ian Wright that
travel all over the world in the Lonely Planet?

The
> > alpha numeric keys are the same, but when we depress the : key
> > (shift+;) to get : we get ; instead, if I remember correctly.
There
> > were a few more differences, involving / \ ' " etc.
> >
> > Anyone has experience using such computer-keyboard combinations
with
> > CNC equipment? Anyone see any potential danger?
> >
> > keongsan

Discussion Thread

keongsan 2002-05-04 01:11:30 UTC recon Jap computers Ian W. Wright 2002-05-04 02:08:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] recon Jap computers keongsan 2002-05-04 03:01:22 UTC Re: recon Jap computers -Flash-> 2002-05-04 09:55:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: recon Jap computers Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-05-04 11:23:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] recon Jap computers Jon Elson 2002-05-04 22:14:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: recon Jap computers