CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: recon Jap computers

keongsan wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Ian W. Wright" <Ian@i...> wrote:
>
> > This should not be a problem as the characters produced by the
> keyboard are
> > governed (normally) by a keyboard map within the operating system.
> In MS
> > windoze this is under 'control panel / international settings' and
> similarly
> > in Linux / KDE.
>
> Let's see if I got that correct. It is only what appear on the
> monitor screen that is different? The signal that goes to the output
> (serial/parallel port) would be the same?
>
> For example: Depressing the key L if in, say, notepad, would cause a
> character L to appear, while, in a controller program, would send a
> signal to the parallel port that causes the tool to jog left. (no
> problem either way.
>
> Just for illustration sake, if the controller program uses the key ;
> to send the signal to the parallel port to move left, this would
> still not cause a problem, because the same signal is sent, but the
> only difference would be, had we been using notepad, some character
> other than ; (for example ') would have appeared. The tool would
> still have jog left by design?

PC keyboards do not send ASCII character codes. They send key
location codes at key up and key down. The BIOS (at some stages)
and the keyboard handler in the OS or GUI (at other stages of system
operation) accept these codes and translate them to user actions or
ASCII codes in the input buffer. There are programs that allow you to see
the actual keycodes generated, and others that allow you to change the
key mapping for different keyboards, or user preference.

keongsan 2002-05-04 01:11:30 UTC recon Jap computers Ian W. Wright 2002-05-04 02:08:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] recon Jap computers keongsan 2002-05-04 03:01:22 UTC Re: recon Jap computers -Flash-> 2002-05-04 09:55:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: recon Jap computers Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-05-04 11:23:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] recon Jap computers Jon Elson 2002-05-04 22:14:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: recon Jap computers