CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Knee or Quill Drive?

Posted by Bill Darby
on 2002-05-10 20:18:07 UTC
Jon Elson wrote:

> bwrfromuk wrote:
>
> > Hi Group,
> >
> > I am in the process of converting an Enco 9x42 mill to CNC. X & Y
> > axis are working fine and I recently connected drive to the knee. I
> > am using 600oz-in peak servos with G320s, all axis are geared down
> > 2:1. Using Master5 X and Y feed limits at 46 in/min, Z loses track at
> > 3 ins/min. The torque measured to lift the Z axis is 40lb-in (belt
> > off). The measured motor current (lifting)is 8 amps, measured across
> > a 0.1ohm resistor with a 'scope, ripple across the 37 VDC supply is
> > 2.5Vp-p. From the limited data on the motors the peak current rating
> > is 12 amps max, nominal voltage is 38 volts, RPM is 900.
> >
> > The question I am now facing, and asking the groups advice on, is it
> > best to carry on working on the knee drive or would I be better off
> > somehow driving the quill?
>
> Depending on the work planned, the only reason to power the knee is if
> you will have to move greater than the quill travel in one move. If not,
> then the quill is a LOT easier to move, and can be moved a lot faster,
> too.
>
> I would make a guess that the motor should be geared down much more,
> as the stall ocurrs at such a low speed. You may also have much better
> results with a higher voltage power supply. Much of the 38 V may be lost
> in the Gecko and armature resistance. When 8 A is delivered to the motor
> lifting the knee, what is the voltage across the motor terminals?
>
> > To date I have not replaced the Z acme screw, how much improvement
> > would a ball-screw give and would it add further complications like
> > the knee dropping if the drive kicked out?
>
> A fine pitch screw may not drop when unpowered, it depends on the knee
> weight and the drag of the motor. A power-off brake could probably be
> built very easily.
>
> But, the real question with the current setup is what accuracy do you get?
> I am assuming the knee is driven through a bevel gear arrangement like
> the Bridgeport. This can lead to all sorts of cyclical errors and backlash
> between the motor and the knee.
>
> > How large a motor do I need for the measured torque? From the
> > measurements and talk with Marriss I could and should improve the
> > supply with additional capacitance and the supply voltage could be
> > increased some, but the fundemental problem seems that the motor is
> > too small. Does anyone have a source for reasonably priced brush
> > servos?
>
> 40 in-lb is 640 in-Oz. So, with a 2:1 speed reduction, you should need
> only 320 In-Oz. That doesn't sound like a big motor. (This is neglecting
> cutting forces, which might add a significant amount.) With a 4:1
> reduction, you'd only need 160 in-Oz. That is the first thing I'd try.
> You could even use V-belts and pulleys just to test the performance,
> and then buy the belt and sprockets after finding a ratio that works.
>
> > What strategies do you recommend for driving the quill? I've looked
> [...]
Hi
I have seen various people go to a great deal of work to devise
adjustments to eliminate the play between the rack and pinion.

However, if you are of a mind to, you can totally eliminate backlash
between the rack and pinion: Make an anchor point at the bottom of the
spindle. Connect a small but very strong spring to it. Then connect a
light aircraft cable to the spring. Lead the cable up to an idler (and
tensioning) pulley located at the top of the spindle housing and then
down to a take up spool on the pinion shaft. Run the quill all the way
down and connect the cable to the take up spool. Ensure the cable is
tight enough to really load the spring. (The diameter of the take up
spool should be very close to the diameter of the pinion gear.)

This arrangement allows you to apply as much pressure as you wish
between the rack and pinion with no up or down loading I think Charles
Atlas called it "dynamic tension". (And the younger guys say " who's
Charles Atlas")

Bill D

Discussion Thread

bwrfromuk 2002-05-10 00:34:17 UTC Knee or Quill Drive? Peter 2002-05-10 06:54:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Knee or Quill Drive? Dan Mauch 2002-05-10 07:14:56 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Knee or Quill Drive? Tim Goldstein 2002-05-10 08:30:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Knee or Quill Drive? Jon Elson 2002-05-10 19:28:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Knee or Quill Drive? Bill Darby 2002-05-10 20:18:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Knee or Quill Drive? Jon Elson 2002-05-10 23:05:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Knee or Quill Drive? bwrfromuk 2002-05-11 01:41:52 UTC Re: Knee or Quill Drive? Bill Darby 2002-05-11 04:42:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Knee or Quill Drive? John 2002-05-11 07:52:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Knee or Quill Drive? Bill Darby 2002-05-11 08:12:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Knee or Quill Drive? vrsculptor 2002-05-11 08:22:30 UTC Re: Knee or Quill Drive? Knee wear. turbulatordude 2002-05-11 08:40:11 UTC Re: Knee or Quill Drive? aaalfano 2002-05-11 09:20:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Knee or Quill Drive? Jon Elson 2002-05-11 21:39:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Knee or Quill Drive? Keith Rumley 2002-05-14 06:31:50 UTC [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Knee or Quill Drive?