CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] bdi install

Posted by Ian W. Wright
on 2002-05-11 13:43:07 UTC
Hi Richard,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux!!
What the message is telling you is that you have to partition your hard
drive - you thought it was already partitioned? Well it might have been for
DOS and Windows but Linux is based on Unix and works a bit differently. The
hard drive needs a minimum of a couple of partitions and preferably 3 or
more. The main two are the 'Root' partition which is designated by a '/' and
is where the basic operating system lives (like the C:\ partition in DOS)
and a 'Swap' partition which is where the programs store their working data
(Windows has a hidden directory it uses for the same purpose). Depending on
the size of your hard drive and the amount of RAM you have I would suggest
that you should aim for a Root partition of around 1 Gb and a SWAP partition
of about twice the size of the RAM you have or 64 MB whichever is the
larger. In addition to these, if you have any spare disk space left, you
could make a '/usr' partition to fill the rest of the disk space. This is
the place where the application programs lives and it is a good idea to keep
them in a partition of their own away from the operating system. If you want
to go really mad, you could also set aside a partition called '/home' which
is where your user data would live but this is not necessary and really just
complicates matters. So, when you run the BDI, if you choose the 'custom'
option and don't just let the install disk make the decisions about
partitions for you, you need to tell it to make preferably the three
partitions I have mentioned:-
root / 1GB
swap swap 64MB
user /usr whatever is left.