CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] ASAP: RS232C serial null modem

Posted by Brian Pitt
on 2002-05-13 19:25:28 UTC
yep that sounds like the right cable ,your about 1/3 of the way there :-)

now find the port settings of the control and set the com port on the laptop
to the same config (can be done from the terminal programs setup menu)
and then try to get the two talking to each other properly
if you get ddoouubbllee typing turn off the local echo function
the terminal program needs to support plain ASCII direct to the com port
with no protocols added on top (ie. not z-modem or kermit)

you should be able to set the control to receive a file then on the terminal
select the 'send text file' function to upload it

you may need to change some of the CR/LF settings on send or receive if
you
get
the
starecase
effect
another thing to watch for is the start and end of file chars
many controls want a special (sometimes non printing) char at the beginning
and end of the program file ,the percent sign is a common one
%
O1234 (filename)
G-code here
M30
%

and there may be some other gotchas I've overlooked ,if your not up to
speed on serial ports yet you will be by the time you get it working :-)

Brian

On Monday 13 May 2002 12:20, you wrote:
> Hello fellow minions of the CNC under world,
>
> Today I took it upon myself to call PC World (Don't ask me why), the
> conversation is as follows: - "Hi, do you have a null modems?"
> "Sorry?"
> "NULL modems?"
> "We don't sell normal modems I don't think sorry."
> "Okay, bye bye."
> So, I visit PC world and find my null modems on the shelf approximately two
> minutes after entering. I quickly find one labelled DB 25 to DB 9 serial
> null, my lathe's RS232C is a DB25 and I want it to go into the DB 9 serial
> on my laptop. Great! Now I notice this same cable is also stocked elsewhere
> in the shop for these prices: - Free (No label)
> £19.99
> £9.99
> £8.99
> So now I have my £8.99, I must ask you, I do want a SERIAL null modem and
> not a parallel for this job don't I? I'm not very up to the scene on all
> the ports and standards associated with them. Why the ASAP? Work it out
> man! I've got a CNC lathe, a PC and a cable who's box I can't open until
> you reply.
>
> Thanks!
> John Heritage

Discussion Thread

John 2002-05-13 12:21:50 UTC ASAP: RS232C serial null modem Ian W. Wright 2002-05-13 12:48:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] ASAP: RS232C serial null modem Brian Pitt 2002-05-13 19:25:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] ASAP: RS232C serial null modem wayne_j_hill 2002-05-13 21:51:58 UTC Re: ASAP: RS232C serial null modem John 2002-05-14 13:44:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] ASAP: RS232C serial null modem