CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] ASAP: RS232C serial null modem

Posted by John
on 2002-05-14 13:44:31 UTC
With those graphical representations that became truly one of the best
replies ever. I've written to Denford, like I say in my earlier post, about
the settings the controller runs on. My machine is over 18 years old however
so I will be amazed if this dude can remember the correct settings! `.^)
I can't remember the plot of a film most of the time (Unless it's got
welding or machinery in it somewhere of coarse). Today I wrote a little
program by hand for my lathe and... gawd n'ammit! It worked! [major grin]

Regards,
John Heritage

> yep that sounds like the right cable ,your about 1/3 of the way there :-)
>
> now find the port settings of the control and set the com port on the
laptop
> to the same config (can be done from the terminal programs setup menu)
> and then try to get the two talking to each other properly
> if you get ddoouubbllee typing turn off the local echo function
> the terminal program needs to support plain ASCII direct to the com port
> with no protocols added on top (ie. not z-modem or kermit)
>
> you should be able to set the control to receive a file then on the
terminal
> select the 'send text file' function to upload it
>
> you may need to change some of the CR/LF settings on send or receive if
> you
> get
> the
> starecase
> effect
> another thing to watch for is the start and end of file chars
> many controls want a special (sometimes non printing) char at the
beginning
> and end of the program file ,the percent sign is a common one
> %
> O1234 (filename)
> G-code here
> M30
> %
>
> and there may be some other gotchas I've overlooked ,if your not up to
> speed on serial ports yet you will be by the time you get it working :-)
>
> Brian
>

> On Monday 13 May 2002 12:20, you wrote:
> > Hello fellow minions of the CNC under world,
> >
> > Today I took it upon myself to call PC World (Don't ask me why), the
> > conversation is as follows: - "Hi, do you have a null modems?"
> > "Sorry?"
> > "NULL modems?"
> > "We don't sell normal modems I don't think sorry."
> > "Okay, bye bye."
> > So, I visit PC world and find my null modems on the shelf approximately
two
> > minutes after entering. I quickly find one labelled DB 25 to DB 9 serial
> > null, my lathe's RS232C is a DB25 and I want it to go into the DB 9
serial
> > on my laptop. Great! Now I notice this same cable is also stocked
elsewhere
> > in the shop for these prices: - Free (No label)
> > £19.99
> > £9.99
> > £8.99
> > So now I have my £8.99, I must ask you, I do want a SERIAL null modem
and
> > not a parallel for this job don't I? I'm not very up to the scene on all
> > the ports and standards associated with them. Why the ASAP? Work it out
> > man! I've got a CNC lathe, a PC and a cable who's box I can't open until
> > you reply.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > John Heritage

> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining