CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: retrofiting a max nc help

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 2002-05-21 11:38:13 UTC
Message: 21
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 11:02:59 -0000
From: "zoomer199" <zoomer@...>
Subject: Re: retrofiting a max nc help

Well after checking out those places you mentioned I am a little
overwhelmed. There controls cost as much as I piad for my whole
machine and add ons.:( Can you help with another solution?

[The Flashcut servo system is a lot better than MaxNC's closed-loop stepper
system, but, as you noticed, it's correspondingly more expensive. On the
other hand, it sounds like you weren't happy with the cheaper system you
bought (let me guess- frequent "servo errors" shutting down operations
unpredictably?) or your treatment by the company. Flashcut uses a dedicated
DSP to deal with signal generation, and has a Windows-based control system
so you don't have to deal with DOS. Also, servo motors are considerably more
expensive than steppers, which is a cost they have to pass along. If it
would help, I can get you a discount on their products. While home-made
systems based on the Gecko drives are highly thought-of here, nobody that I
know of is putting out a commercial Gecko-based servo control box that's
ready to bolt on and run. Or is there something out there that I've missed?]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "John" <johnhe-uk@s...> wrote:
> Flashcut sell ready made controllers. If you have the cash so do
AHHA!
> You'll pay more the less you want to do, as is the way of life.
You pay $$$,
> or £££ in my case, for someone else to make the out the box option
for you.
> Both have web sites, a quick search on google should find them. I
doubt
> you'd need an AHHA on a MaxNC though.
>
> Regards,
> John H.
>

> > It is the servo system with encoders.
> > Gekos are just the drive correct? What about a ready to go
control
> > box? Does any body make one that will work for my system. Less I
> > have to the better.
> >

> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:

> > > Is this a stepper system with encoders, or a servo system?
Either
> > > way, gecko drives has drivers that are highly regarded. If you
> > want
> > > encoder feedback to the PC (which you'd need if it is a stepper
> > system)
> > > then you can get something like Dan Mauch's DRO card.
> > >
> > > For encoder feedback to the PC, EMC and DeskNCRT are most of
the
> > > programs that have that feature.
> > >
> > > Jon

Discussion Thread

zoomer199 2002-05-20 00:18:14 UTC retrofiting a max nc help Jon Elson 2002-05-20 09:24:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] retrofiting a max nc help zoomer199 2002-05-20 17:32:08 UTC Re: retrofiting a max nc help John 2002-05-20 18:01:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: retrofiting a max nc help zoomer199 2002-05-21 03:44:03 UTC Re: retrofiting a max nc help zoomer199 2002-05-21 04:03:00 UTC Re: retrofiting a max nc help John 2002-05-21 05:38:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: retrofiting a max nc help bjammin@i... 2002-05-21 05:46:06 UTC retrofiting a max nc help Carol & Jerry Jankura 2002-05-21 05:57:40 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: retrofiting a max nc help stevenson_engineers 2002-05-21 07:06:00 UTC Re: retrofiting a max nc help Andrew Werby 2002-05-21 11:38:13 UTC Re: retrofiting a max nc help stevenson_engineers 2002-05-21 12:04:53 UTC Re: retrofiting a max nc help