CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Linux/Windows

on 1999-12-08 17:20:39 UTC
Paul wrote me this:

> Hi Arne
>
> It is only an idea, but if you mount your MS window partition
some where in
> your Linux directory. If you click on the attachment with the
right mouse
> button, a dialog box will open giving you the choice to save it.
Type in the
> Windows path name and file name as you would normally do, then
hopefully when
> you boot up Windows, the attachment will be there.
>
> Regards, Paul.

Well Paul , - THANK YOU - IT WORKED !!

For once, that is.

This is just what I would believe, too. And have have done it -
many, many times today, and it did not work. I recall I had the
same problem several months ago, and I had to resend it to another
ISP, and read it in under Windows. So what is this ??
( by the way - I am sure I have done this the same way you
describe, before. When I encountered that it did not work some
months ago, I was puzzled. I thought I must have been wrong - this
don't work. Well, I have use most of the day, doing just what you
describe - about 5 or 6 times. Then some other tricks and ideas.
Nothing worked. I have not turned the computer off, and I tried
several reboots. So, - I had planned to answer you with: done
that, didn't work. Just for the "heck" of it, I thought to
describe what would happen, - so I did it again. This time it
worked ! ( On the other attempts, the file would not be readable.
)

Well, if this worked, then I the download from the ISP, and the
trouble I told you all about - may also have been solved by this
mystery. No luck there. The strange thing is that I can use the
same modem and same computer and call the same ISP, and get things
working. Not good, but at least it works. I have studied the RFC
and protocols, been in contact with that ISP service department.
Why does Linux do a better job ?

I sad - I hate Windows, but I now that many on this list would
swear to it. But I think it is strange. I have several
computers, partitioned with both systems. So the hardware and
devices is the same. Windows may work okay for about a month,
then something breaks, while I have never had any failure with
Linux on the same computers.

The problem I have had to day, - is just typical. I have tested
for viruses, reinstalled Windows, but no matter what you say, - it
behaves strange at times. There is just no logic in it. I hear
the same story from many others too, - so this should not just be
computer with some odd mismatches of hardware. Besides I have
about the same experiences with 8-9 other computers, all of
different make, main boards, bios, etc. ( A side note: I have
some impression that Win95 worked better than Win98, - but I may
just imagine this. )

If someone have any idea, or can enlighten me with some logic
here, I would be interested. I have had programs with bugs, and
most often you can repeat the situation. You can narrow down the
part that is not working. With Win98, it is like it has some will
of it's own, never knowing what it will do next. ( IMHO )

But thanks Paul, - you made me try once more, - and this time it
worked.

//ARNE

Discussion Thread

Arne Chr.Jorgensen 1999-12-08 14:21:34 UTC Linux/Windows Arne Chr.Jorgensen 1999-12-08 17:20:39 UTC Re: Linux/Windows Ian Wright 2000-01-08 03:53:57 UTC Re: Linux/Windows