CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Linux/Windows

Posted by Ian Wright
on 2000-01-08 03:53:57 UTC
Hi Arne,

If you are connecting to the web in windows to get the mail with these
attachments why can't you just save the attachment as a separate file -
perhaps by right clicking on them and doing a 'save as'. Once they are
there, you can transfer them about with Samba just like you taught me ;o).
Is there no Linux program that will open Excel files directly so that you
could access your ISP and deal with the files all on a linux machine? If
this is the real problem I suppose you would have to open the files in Excel
on a windows machine and then export them in a form which a linux-based
program could read like CSV, tab delimited or .dbf or something.
Sorry I can't be more help but, having made a complete mess of trying to
upgrade to RH6.1 I'm now in the process of trying to set the linux box up
again in RH5.2 and getting in a real tangle! For some reason I don't seem to
be able to cope with the simple thing of patching the kernel for RTLinux as
when I install the upgraded kernel headers etc., they seem to go off into
cyberspace somewhere and aren't where I expect them to be! I'm also
struggling with KDE which seems to install but won't let me switch to it as
a desktop - the file manager and other bits and pieces work but WindowMaker
won't go away. Linux certainly does provide extended entertainment!!!!!!!

Ian
--
Ian W. Wright
Sheffield UK