CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC retrofit

Posted by ja_erickson
on 2002-05-24 16:36:35 UTC
evening pat,

i have been doing alot of research on the process of retrofitting a
bridgeport with nema 42's and have built a comparitavely inexpensive
but reliable system. i have built my own power supplies and motor
drivers for under $1000.00 for all 3 axis. you should look into a
company called "Gecko Drives", the gentleman who owns the business
also designs the drives and is an active member in this group. his
drives will handle up to 70 volts and will allow up to 7 amps. i am
currently using his G210 drivers and have had excellent support from
him. i am using a p.c. to control the drives and have spent
considerable time trying out different c.n.c. controller packages and
have ended up using a package called "Master5". it is an excellent
package as well with excellent tech support and you cannot beat the
price.This software costs 100.00 yes, 100.00 and it runs that machine
very smoothly.
it does not have to have a really fast computer to function properly
either,dont judge this software by its price. you can download a free
trial version from the master5 site. alot of people will try to tell
you that windows will not run well because of a system timing issue,
but this software has overcame this problem. you can retrofit your
machine much cheaper than the advertised costs of traditional
retrofitters because of the Gecko drives and Master5 software.a retro-
fit would be a neat class project as i have learned alot.if you
have any other questions feel free to e-mail me at
ja_erickson@...

jeff

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "patbearss" <bearsspa@c...> wrote:
> I just found this site and I am very impressed!!!!!!
> I am a CAD teacher at Traverse City Central High School in
Michigan.
> We have a techno 40"x48" router and this spring acquired a
Bridgeport
> Boss Mill that we are upgrading with a Machine Master board to
> replace it's outdated controller. I use MasterCam for the Techno
> router and plan to use it for the Bridgeport as soon as our
> electricians get it wired.
> A few years ago someone donated a CNC Hartford mill, with no power
> supply and no controller and missing one drive motor. I had looked
at
> a controller card from Machine Master for $1995 but that was only
the
> PC card. I gave up on the Hartford when the Bridgeport came
along.
> I am now going to pick up the Hartford for my home use but it seems
> like such a shame to go back to turning cranks when I have access
> I just found this site and am very impressed!
> I am a CAD teacher at Traverse City Central High School. We have a
> techno 40"x48" router and this spring acquired a Bridgeport Boss
Mill
> that we are upgrading with the Machine Master board to replace it's
> outdated controller. I use MasterCam for the Techno router and
plan
> to use it for the Bridgeport as soon as our electricians get it
wired.
> A few years ago someone donated the Hartford mill, with no power
> supply and no controller and missing one drive motor. I gave up on
> the Hartford when the Bridgeport came along. I am now going to
pick
> up the Hartford for my home use but it seems like such a shame to
go
> back to turning cranks when I have access to AutoCad and Master Cam
> and all their capabilities.
> I just found some info from Flashcut CNC, they have size NEMA 42
> stepper for $595 and their 12amp 3 axis stepper drive box goes for
> $4295. I don't think I am ready to spend that kind of money to go
> CNC for a home shop mill. I would very much be interested in any
> suggestions anyone might have?
>
> I also have 3 Houston Instruments DMP 42 Plotters 1 HP 6 pen
plotter
> that I would be happy to donate to anyone if they have any use for
> them.
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Pat
>
> Pat Bearss
> 3512 Lookout Point
> Traverse City, Michigan 49686
> bearsspa@c...
> 231 938-1079 home
> 231 933-8297 work

Discussion Thread

patbearss 2002-05-24 15:59:13 UTC CNC retrofit ja_erickson 2002-05-24 16:36:35 UTC Re: CNC retrofit wayne_j_hill 2002-05-24 20:15:12 UTC Re: CNC retrofit bjammin@i... 2002-05-25 04:49:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC retrofit