CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] router question

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-06-12 20:37:36 UTC
Whoa,,,, Thats a tuff one. Seems everyone has an opinion about this. Some seem to think one method is much more rigid than another. I think either can be used effectively if designed right for the
application.

I've worked with and built both.... I prefer the moving gantry. Here are my reasons........

First off, it's better looking. ( might be a personal thing)

Second, A moving gantry machine takes up about half of the space for the SAME work area. This is undeniable.

Third, depending on exactly what you want to do with the machine, you might get tired of your material moving around ( had a moving table machine that was loaded on the fly..... not good. Your
circumastances may differ.)

Fourth, and related, If you use Vacuum to hold parts down to the table like I do, then you need to accomodate Vacuum Lines to a moving mechanism. Not hard,,,, and you can run it all in a hose
carriage, but very dumpy looking if your method is to just let them hang from above with enough slop in the line.

Fifth, With a moving Gantry, once you design your drive mechanism, you won't have to worry about differences in actually "moving" Machining Foam one day, and maybe Marble for your neighbors dead
Cat's Headstone the next..... Have to remember just how variable your material can change.

On the other hand, your gantry weight pretty much stays the SAME all the time. Well, up until you physically jump on it and ride it around !

Sixth, It's just as Stinkin Rigid if it's done correctly. No one has ever satisfied my inquiries of *real proof* that the simple fact of a machine with a moving table is somehow more rigid than ANY
Moving gantry machine. Thats just not true. (it's an old wives tale from way back)

Just my Opinion,

Chris L