CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] turcite for ways

Posted by Marcus & Eva
on 2002-06-18 19:09:46 UTC
Hi Kevin:
I am in the process of doing a major rebuild on a Monarch 10EE lathe.
I put Turcite on the carriage.
It is easy to apply, but you have to pay attention to the details.
The kit supplied by the manufacturer comes with very complete instructions.
It is EXPENSIVE though...but the Turcite material is the least of it.
I paid almost as much for the cutting charge as for the strip.
Should have just bought a sheet.
The adhesive and the way conditioner is pricey too.
The material mills and scrapes very well, but you scrape it more like wood
than like cast iron.
I used a high speed steel scraper ground at 30 deg. and then sharpened very
sharp with a fine oilstone.
I raised a burr, to do the actual work.
It functions exactly like a cabinet scraper.
You can remove material very FAST ...unexpectedly so..so you have to go
deliberately slowly.

Machinery builders are using it on new machines for its low friction
coefficient and its favourable wear properties.
Turcite equipped machines require careful maintenance though...if you get
grit in the ways, you can destroy the stuff in a heartbeat.

That's about all I know...'tis good stuff when used properly.

Cheers

Marcus