CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] turcite for ways

kevinagilent wrote:

> has anyone used turcite to put on there ways to reduce friction
> the big machines use it .anyone here used it ? is it easy to
> apply ? does it need machining after or grinding or scraping?

I have been looking into Moglice, a castable resin that is used for the
same purpose. For instance, after grinding or scraping the bed ways
to be smooth and flat, you shim the carriage or table to the correct
alignment, and then either trowel the heavy Moglice on and set the
carriage or table into alignment, or inject the thinner version.
Generally, no machining or scraping is required ofter that. I am planning
to use Moglice on my Sheldon lathe, after the bed is finished.

Turcite usually requires scraping, as it is applied in stock thicknesses
after machining away a bit of material on the carriage. If you have a
lot of wear, you may not need to remove much material first.

See http://www.moglice.com/ for more info. they have a ~20 page
book on rebuilding using their materials that is quite informative.

kevinagilent 2002-06-18 12:26:58 UTC turcite for ways Marcus & Eva 2002-06-18 19:09:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] turcite for ways Jon Elson 2002-06-18 21:15:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] turcite for ways Sven Peter 2002-06-18 21:17:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] turcite for ways