CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Fanuc question

Posted by vavaroutsos
on 2002-07-03 20:04:58 UTC
Peter, I would just like to mention that while doing some reading the
other day, I came across a class action lawsuit against Bridgeport.
It had to do with the Bridgeport control on the VMC machines not
functioning properly. The lawsuit mentioned machines built around
1998 so I'm not sure if this is still a problem, but you should check
into it.

~petev

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "John" <johnhe-uk@s...> wrote:
> I was going to ask that question as well. Your confusion is
shared! :-)

> John
>

> > Can someone give me a quick synopsis as to what Fanuc is? I know
they are
> a machine tool manufacturer, that has a very large share of the CNC
machine
> tool market (at least for their controllers). Is the reason i see
them
> everywhere because they are the Microsoft of CNC tools? Like wise
what makes
> a Fanuc controller better/different from say a hydropath control? G-
code is
> G-code right? I understand that there are certain G and M commands
that some
> controllers do not recognize, but is there a fundamental difference
to how
> they control the hardware that makes some controllers incompatible
with some
> servos/steppers?
> >
> > sorry for so any question at once, just trying to fill in some of
the
> gaping holes in my understanding..
> >
> > FWIW this all came up because I was in my school department heads
office
> the other day, and there was a sales rep from a local equipment
dealer.
> Apparently the school is buying as new Bridgeport VMC machining
center. The
> chairman wants to be able to have MasterCAM Workstations that are
ethernet
> connected to the machine shop. The apparent hitch to this is, that
there is
> enough money in the budget for the machining center with the
Bridgeport