CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Beginning User

on 2002-07-06 07:32:23 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Carol & Jerry Jankura"
<jerry.jankura@s...> wrote in the post below my reply:

Good post by Jerry, well explained.
In addition to looking at Vector you may want to take a look at
Dolphin.
http://www.dolphin.gb.com
This can do the same but it does it automatically. If you draw your
inch square and tell the program you have a 1/4" cutter it will work
the offset out automatically so you still have an uncluttered
drawing, just the square. It can also add on enough for a finishing
path. This finish path also has the option of being cut at full depth
to give a blend free finish.
Change the cutter and the program updates, no need to redraw the
offsets.

John S.

> [...]
> either), so could you explain exactly what you got?
>
> Most of the hobby CNC G-Code interpreters do not provide cutter
>compensation
> (G40->G42), so I'm not surprised that your's doesn't either.
>
> A couple of suggestions -
>
> 1. Since autocad lite will generate a DXF file, you might want to
consider
> drawing an offset to your cutting lines equal to the radius of the
cutter.
> Let's say that you want to cut the outside edges of a one inch
square using
> a 1/4 inch diameter end mill. You'd draw the square using autocad
lite and
> then draw an offset 1/8 inch away from each of the lines. At the
corners,
> you'd draw a 90 degree ard with the corner of the square being the
center of
> the arc, and the radius being 1/8 inch. You would draw all of these
offsets
> on a separate layer (let's call it 'toolpaths') Export this drawing
as a DXF
> file.
>
> Next, download a DXF to G-Code interpreter such as ACE Converter
from Yeager
> Automation. Open the DXF file that you just generated with ACE,
select the
> toolpaths layer, and direct ACE to generate the G-Code. Now,
manually edit
> the G-Code file that was just generated to add carriage feed rates,
depth,
> etc. If you're trying to cut a 1/2 inch deep cut, you'll want to
copy and
> paste the code that Yeager generates several times, changing the
depth of
> cut for each iteration (You don't want to cut the full 1/2 depth at
once,
> Depending on material you're cutting, you'll want to make a series
of cuts
> along the same path, but at different depths until you reach the
full depth
> of the cut. You may also want to cut a little "outside" of the
lines as you
> remove most of the material, and then take a full cut finishing cut
that
> removes little material, but provides a clean, uniform surface, but
that's
> another story)
>
> This is your "low cost" solution. And, if you prefer a CAD program
that
> offers a little more power than ACLT, you might want to download a
free
> version of Intellicad, an Autocad workalike. Your net software cost
is
> zilch.
>
> 2. Since you're willing to spend some money on a program, you might
want to
> consider one of the CAD-GCode interprepeter generators such as
VectorCADCAM.
> The advantages of programs like Vector are that they often
provide 'helps'
> to the G-Code generation process. For example, the cut that I
mentioned
> before could have most of itsG-Code generated by drawing the offset
(which
> would also draw the radii around the corners) and clicking on a
button.
> You'd then enter the depth of cut in a dialog box, and Vector would
generate
> all of the iterations necessary to cut to full depth. Then, you'd
add
> another cut to finish it off (this may be automatable as well, Fred
might
> comment here) Since you know the autocad type programs, moving to
something
> like Vector would have an unlearning curve as well as a learning
curve (I
> started with the Intellicad-ACE combination and have moved over to
Vector,
> so I've gone through this curve), but it's well worth it, IMHO.
>
> Now, as far as your G-Code interpreter is concerned. If your motors
use a
> step-direction interface with the computer, you can replace the G-
Code
> interpreter with one of several. Most are low cost ($20 -> $200)
and run
> under plain old DOS. A few run under Windows 9x. There's a WinXP
beta out
> for one. If you're willing to move to a Linux environment, there's
EMC (I
> was not willing to move to this environment, so I can't comment on
its
> capabilities)
>
> In any event, I hope these comments provide some help and
direction. You'll