CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: emc

Posted by bjammin@i...
on 2002-07-17 05:49:13 UTC
At 12:02 PM 7/17/02 -0000, you wrote:
>1- Linux is just plain better (no arguments please, you are entitled
>to disagree).

Linux is basically useless to me unless I run EMC and I intend not to go
thru with it what others seem to have to go thru. It is totally
inconceivable to me that it will either lose offset values or sum them up
in some arcane way when you use another ordinary control function! That is
not only ineffective and counterproductive, it's well past damned
dangerous. My program writes them to a file on disc and they can only be
altered by the operator overwriting them or editing the file. Thats the way
all other sytems seem to work, and I don't think I'm missing anything.

>2- The designers used a REAL-TIME OS (the RT-Linux extensions) to
>make sure things happened.

The advantage to me is entirely theoretical.

>3- I looked at other control software -- I liked EMC better.

I'm doing just fine with my own stuff which having written myself I can't
help but be happy with.

>That said, I would like to also point out that the whole reason EMC
>came to be was to bring consistancy to CNC. The field is replete with
>controllers that do things different than the next one. G-CODE will
>not (necessarily) run the same on different brands of machines.

There can never be any real and lasting consistency in open source code,
unless you have a deity to manage the individual programmers.

I will never have a problem in implementing the way any flavor of Gcode
runs, because I wrote the interpretor I'm using. However, I haven't had to
run Gcode yet anyway, as my system also uses an alternative fully
implemented command set.

If you have an answer to the question I posed, I'd sure like to hear it.

Regards, Hoyt

Anti-virus request: Please do not add this email addy to address books
Belfab CNC - http://www.freeyellow.com/members/belfab/belfab.html
US Best MC - http://www.freeyellow.com/members/batwings/best.html
Camping/Caving - http://www.freeyellow.com/members/batwings/caving.html
Redneck blues: Dog drove off in pickup truck, but left the wife behind

Discussion Thread

Joel Jacobs 2002-07-16 13:03:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: G92 bjammin@i... 2002-07-17 04:19:08 UTC emc the_dutros 2002-07-17 05:02:30 UTC Re: emc bjammin@i... 2002-07-17 05:49:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: emc dakota8833 2002-07-17 06:33:27 UTC Re: emc bjammin@i... 2002-07-17 08:03:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: emc Brian Pitt 2002-07-17 10:19:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] emc Carol & Jerry Jankura 2002-07-17 20:17:07 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: emc