CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

g-code interpretation

Posted by bjammin@i...
on 2002-07-25 06:59:16 UTC
At 11:19 PM 7/17/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Can you tell us more about your G-Code interpreter? What language is it
>written in? Is it available anywhere?

Hi Jerry, nice to hear from you. The interpreter is part of Axis Wizard
itself, which is my own software for CNC. Using MDI, AW writes motion
commands to both I-LPT for action and to disc file. It can also reads in
those files and G-code files. In fact, it can read in files with combos of
those two formats. As long as each line is valid in the given format, it
will proceed merrily along w/o difficulty.

I know what you're thinking: it would be nice to have this as separate
module. And it isn't that much code to seperate out. However, using it that
way would still require having I-LPT driver, as AW output is in that format
and is ordinarily written directly to I-LPT.

In light of my experience, I vociferously suggest the best warez for home
CNC is I-LPT and either AxWiz or Ability Systems' own G-code interpreter. I
was getting motion at the machine w/i ten minutes of installing I-LPT,
which takes one line each in autoexec.bat and config.sys. Ability Systems
also has a Windows ver.

Someone asked me not long ago why I didn't dispense with I-LPT and do the
motion control part myself. The reason is, it would be very hard to devise
something as good as I-LPT, even if I were a better programmer. It's
been around for decades and is really very very powerful. You couldn't find
a more logical guy tahn Art Volta, who deeply believes in functionality,
user support, and tweaking the product to perfection.

Regards, Hoyt McKagen

Anti-virus request: Please do not add this email addy to address books
Belfab CNC - http://www.freeyellow.com/members/belfab/belfab.html
US Best MC - http://www.freeyellow.com/members/batwings/best.html
Camping/Caving - http://www.freeyellow.com/members/batwings/caving.html
Hac ahac que haec, hoc, hoc, patui