CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re:Starting EMC automatically

Ron Ginger wrote:

> From: Ron Ginger <ginger@...>
>

> No, it would be simpler than that. You would just add a startup file to
> the /etc/rc.d/rc.3 directory that did an 'su - emcuser' then started X.
> You would have to modify the .xsession file of the user account to have
> it start emc. No need to start the xdm session manager to ask for login.

Great - thanks! I was pretty sure it would be in one of the run level files,
but I didn't know which one it should be placed into.

> It would be a bit tricky to break out of this if you needed to startup
> as root to do someting else. I guess you could let it start emc, then
> use the <alt><f#> key to go to another console.

This is why I probably won't do this, as I do some development work
related to EMC and my programs to write G-code on this machine.
But, I very likely will set up something that will start the whole thing
from a special username login.

> If I get a chance Ill set this up and post the exact files.

We'd all appreciate it!

Ron Ginger 2000-01-20 06:55:02 UTC Re:Starting EMC automatically Darrell 2000-01-20 11:07:51 UTC Re: Re:Starting EMC automatically Jon Elson 2000-01-20 12:42:21 UTC Re: Re:Starting EMC automatically