CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Machining on Opposite Sides + MIT

Posted by exeric1
on 2002-07-26 13:23:15 UTC
I'm going to try using machinable wax for this project. When I get a
good setup with my vacuum I'll probably convert to wood.

On a separate subject I found something that might be invaluable for
us nerdy types. I was looking on the internet for proper use of an
edge finder and I hit the Mother Lode of machining and general
scientific data. If anyone isn't aware MIT a while back began a
policy of allowing free access to course material on the WEB. They
have short videos of machining,workholding,milling,measuring etc.
Just use the search page on this site and prepare to be amazed! I
haven't checked on CNC specific stuff yet so don't know what's there.
But I bet they have stuff related to lasers and stuff there too. Its
a veritable gold mine. I'm including a search link to the Mechanical
Enginneering School. There might be info of value in other
departments also. Enjoy!

http://www-me.mit.edu/Search/Search.htm

Eric

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Brian" <ka1bbg@w...> wrote:
> Hi, nothing bad about machining wood, except the dust. a good
vacuum with
> its exaust going outside will fix that problem. Get wood that has
just been
> kiln dryed, and dont use 2x4's and the like. wood cut for beams
usually has
> a lot of stress and will be quite useless for modeling. Use epoxy
to glue
> the parts together if you need to fabricate a thick section.
Measure the
> parts right after machining before moisture begins to come back
into the
> wood. Coat them with fast drying crylon if you want to save them
for later
> looks. contact me off line for more wood info ka1bbg@w... . cul
> brian f.

preliminary
> > planning stage - ie refining the drawings and making sure the new
> > part will fit the existing assembly it will attach to. It will
> > probably be a few weeks before the actual machining takes place
after
> > a few preliminary models in wood are machined to make sure
everything
> > fits. When I finally get there I'll try to document it with some
> > pictures.
> >
> > By the way, is it considered bad practice to use a mill to machine
> > wood? The only thing I'm concerned about is sawdust getting in the
> > works. I have the ways covered. Is there a better material out
there
> > for preliminary modeling thats not too expensive? This question is
> > addressed to anyone.
> >
> > Eric
> >
> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "pcfw" <pcfw@y...> wrote:
> > > Hi Eric,
> > >
> > > How about documenting your efforts with a digital camera? It
will
> > be
> > > very educational for those of us who don't have much machinning
> > > experience.
> > >
> > > Peter
> >

> > Addresses:
> >
> > OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> > If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
reach it if
> you have trouble.
> > http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

as a
> sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT
> subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
> >
> > NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY
POSTING THEM.