CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Newbie would like some help building please

on 2002-08-08 11:30:08 UTC
Hi Mike,

The way I see it,

you can build a simple insrtructional router for around $100 if you
have small steppers and are gutsy enough to drive them with CMOS
chips directly from the parallel port, at low voltages. But this
thing would only be for balsa wood, wax or PC boards and the very
light stuff.

a decent cutting head, a Dewalt trim router will cost about $100.00
3 Gecko's at about $120 ea = $360.00
3 NEMA 34 steppers, used at about $75 ea = $225.00, heavy duty might
be $225 each.
a power supply, $200 ??
linear rails, about $900 for medium light units.
ACME lead screws and nuts, about $600

With that, you can do some real work. of course, you could make a
heavier unit to cut thick metal.

You could shave dollars with a stepper kit for around $150 including
smaller steppers and including drivers. and you could use IGUS on-the-
cheap rails and guides(around $150.00) , and a Harobor freight trim
router for $20.00. But then you are shaving working ability and
accuracy.

I didn't mention the frame for the beastie. you can weld a square
tubular steel frame for around $1,000, or use plywood for $20.00

The completed home brew router for $5,000 will be powerful, robust
and not shimmy and shake.

a $5,000 pre-made kit will be much lighter in weight, and not able to
cut as heavy parts.

A $100.00 instructional unit will let you learn and play in pretty
quick time.

it all goes to your expertise, your needs, and your willingness to
trade hours for parts, or cash for parts.

imho.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "knightrid17356" <knirider@s...> wrote:
> Hi, I have been trying to locate a place to get plans for a home
cnc
> machine, but have come across a variety of costs for them. I have
> also noticed that the parts that are used, almost equal up to the
> same amount I could buy one brand new for. When I found this
group,
> i figured I would pose the question to all of you...
>
> Is there a way to make a home cnc machine CHEAPLY? I mean for
under
> $100 or even $500. If it goes into the thousands, why would I want
> to build one? I know, the same reason you build a bookcase instead
> of buying one - because you can do it, and it is normally better.
>
> Well anyway, that is the main question I had, and hopefully if
there
> is a solution, then we can go from there.
>
> Oh - i have seen plans that use a "rotozip" type tool also?? Is
this
> really viable? I always thought of using a router in it. Maybe if
> there is a cheap way to build one with a rotozip, maybe someoen
could
> give me some info on how the blades react to different hardwoods,
and
> how long they would last. I know using a rotozip around the house,
> that the blades do not seem to last very long at all.
>
> OK, enough for now..:) I HOPE someone can help with this problem,
> and find a solution for doing this CHEAPLY.
>
> Thank You
> Mike

Discussion Thread

knightrid17356 2002-08-08 08:06:02 UTC Newbie would like some help building please turbulatordude 2002-08-08 11:30:08 UTC Re: Newbie would like some help building please Carl Mikkelsen, Oasis 2002-08-08 14:03:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Newbie would like some help building please dodge1320 2002-08-08 14:23:08 UTC Re: Newbie would like some help building please rainnea 2002-08-08 22:11:53 UTC Re: Newbie would like some help building please jim_clamp_it 2002-08-09 13:33:02 UTC Re: Newbie would like some help building please knightrid17356 2002-08-10 11:32:11 UTC Re: Newbie would like some help building please wanliker@a... 2002-08-10 15:55:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Newbie would like some help building please Mel Williams 2002-08-12 08:38:32 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Newbie would like some help building please