CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Newbie would like some help building please

Posted by jim_clamp_it
on 2002-08-09 13:33:02 UTC
Hi Mike,

I find alot of my parts for CNC projects at auctions. Needs to be a
business auction where you'd expect to find this type of stuff. I've
built a very sturdy and very accurate router/engraver from parts
bought at a defunked printed circuit board plant. Real nice NSK ball
screws, 1.5" Thompson bearings and rails, steppers and other odd
hardware. This was a big old drill for the boards, X Y was steppers
on screws and Z was an air cylinder. Also got a 60K rpm spindle
motor. A RotoZip would work fine. I use a Dremel tool for really fine
engraving. Materials like Plastic, glass, brass and circuit boards. I
use a router for heavier materials. I've even done marble with solid
carbide rod sharpened to a point. I spent $400 for 4 pallets loaded
with parts (about 9 complets axis) I added $375 worth of drivers and
an old PC and I had my CNC router. I sold a lot of the spare parts on
Ebay so I'm about even.

I was given a batch of wide carriage line printers, Of coarse I tore
into them right away. Used two of the slide assemblys/motor/belt for
a double Y axis, set a third across them for my X, stuck a weighted
ink pen in a tube that was pulled up with a thread wrapped around a
little stepper shaft. I then had a home brew pen plotter. I know, It
dosen't throw chips but, It's still CNC. It was really more fun to
build then to use. It was free too!

A more direct method I took..... Got an older but still very tight
Soutbend Mill with Anilam Crusader II controls with NC tape reader.
$1200, trashed the controls and I'm in the process of interfacing a
PC to it. This is really my first shot a servos, I'm using the Rutex
(I think the number is 977) board that takes step and direction input
and outputs +/- 10 volts to the stock Westamp drives. I'll be posting
more on the Rutex product soon.

Good cheap stuff is out there. I have more time than money so this
method has worked for me. Sometimes I get hot and dirty before I get
to the bottom of the pile of junk just to find nothing. Sometimes I
find a jewel.

Happy hunting,
Jim

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "knightrid17356" <knirider@s...> wrote:
> Hi, I have been trying to locate a place to get plans for a home
cnc
> machine, but have come across a variety of costs for them. I have
> also noticed that the parts that are used, almost equal up to the
> same amount I could buy one brand new for. When I found this
group,
> i figured I would pose the question to all of you...
>
> Is there a way to make a home cnc machine CHEAPLY? I mean for
under
> $100 or even $500. If it goes into the thousands, why would I want
> to build one? I know, the same reason you build a bookcase instead
> of buying one - because you can do it, and it is normally better.
>
> Well anyway, that is the main question I had, and hopefully if
there
> is a solution, then we can go from there.
>
> Oh - i have seen plans that use a "rotozip" type tool also?? Is
this
> really viable? I always thought of using a router in it. Maybe if
> there is a cheap way to build one with a rotozip, maybe someoen
could
> give me some info on how the blades react to different hardwoods,
and
> how long they would last. I know using a rotozip around the house,
> that the blades do not seem to last very long at all.
>
> OK, enough for now..:) I HOPE someone can help with this problem,
> and find a solution for doing this CHEAPLY.
>
> Thank You
> Mike

Discussion Thread

knightrid17356 2002-08-08 08:06:02 UTC Newbie would like some help building please turbulatordude 2002-08-08 11:30:08 UTC Re: Newbie would like some help building please Carl Mikkelsen, Oasis 2002-08-08 14:03:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Newbie would like some help building please dodge1320 2002-08-08 14:23:08 UTC Re: Newbie would like some help building please rainnea 2002-08-08 22:11:53 UTC Re: Newbie would like some help building please jim_clamp_it 2002-08-09 13:33:02 UTC Re: Newbie would like some help building please knightrid17356 2002-08-10 11:32:11 UTC Re: Newbie would like some help building please wanliker@a... 2002-08-10 15:55:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Newbie would like some help building please Mel Williams 2002-08-12 08:38:32 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Newbie would like some help building please