CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Newbie would like some help building please

on 2002-08-10 11:32:11 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "dodge1320" <motionin@a...> wrote:
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "knightrid17356" <knirider@s...> wrote:
> > Hi, I have been trying to locate a place to get plans for a home
> cnc
> > machine, but have come across a variety of costs for them. I
have
> > also noticed that the parts that are used, almost equal up to the
> > same amount I could buy one brand new for. When I found this
> group,
> > i figured I would pose the question to all of you...
> >
> > Is there a way to make a home cnc machine CHEAPLY? I mean for
> under
> > $100 or even $500. If it goes into the thousands, why would I
want
> > to build one? I know, the same reason you build a bookcase
instead
> > of buying one - because you can do it, and it is normally better.
> >
> > Well anyway, that is the main question I had, and hopefully if
> there
> > is a solution, then we can go from there.
> >
> > Oh - i have seen plans that use a "rotozip" type tool also?? Is
> this
> > really viable? I always thought of using a router in it. Maybe
if
> > there is a cheap way to build one with a rotozip, maybe someoen
> could
> > give me some info on how the blades react to different hardwoods,
> and
> > how long they would last. I know using a rotozip around the
house,
> > that the blades do not seem to last very long at all.
> >
> > OK, enough for now..:) I HOPE someone can help with this
problem,
> > and find a solution for doing this CHEAPLY.
> >
> > Thank You
> > Mike
>

> Hi Mike. What we really need to know is what type of work you want
> to do. I built a small cnc using a cast iron x-y table from enco
> tools and made up a z axis using round rods (drill rod) with Nylon
> (nylatron)_bushings. Table travel is only 5x7, but that does all
the
> stuff I need. You might also mention where you are in case someone
> may live near you that has one! (I am in the Northern suberbs of
> Detroit) There are countless variations on building a machine, so
> the more info you give the better! Good luck! Rick

Hi, well I wanted it to do basic modelling, and was thinking I might
use it for some smaller shadow box pieces for my wife. I live in the
South-Central portion of Pennsylvania, about 30 minutes from
Harrisburg and 30 minutes from Baltimore, MD. I only need to cut
wood with the cnc machine, and maybe a little plastic/plexiglass. I
would love a machine that would do 3d carvings, but I dont know what
the extra expense would be for one of those.

Thanx
Mike

Discussion Thread

knightrid17356 2002-08-08 08:06:02 UTC Newbie would like some help building please turbulatordude 2002-08-08 11:30:08 UTC Re: Newbie would like some help building please Carl Mikkelsen, Oasis 2002-08-08 14:03:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Newbie would like some help building please dodge1320 2002-08-08 14:23:08 UTC Re: Newbie would like some help building please rainnea 2002-08-08 22:11:53 UTC Re: Newbie would like some help building please jim_clamp_it 2002-08-09 13:33:02 UTC Re: Newbie would like some help building please knightrid17356 2002-08-10 11:32:11 UTC Re: Newbie would like some help building please wanliker@a... 2002-08-10 15:55:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Newbie would like some help building please Mel Williams 2002-08-12 08:38:32 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Newbie would like some help building please