CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] cleaning a ball screw

Posted by Bill Vance
on 2002-08-10 14:51:27 UTC
turbulatordude wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I picked up a rusted ball screw today. complete with nut. The shop
> had a roof leak and the batch had been rained on, in the box and the
> screws show lots of rust.

Use a battery charger.

Electrolytic Cleaner:

Sodium Carbonate (washing soda) 75 grams/liter 10 0unces/U.S. gal.
Sodium Hydroxide (lye) 12.5 1.7
Trisodium Phosphate (TSP) 25 3.3
Sodium Silicate (water-glass) 12.5 1.7

Store in a polyethylene bottle. Alkaline solutions attack glass.

Wear rubber gloves when working with this stuff. It's not all that
bad but I wouldn't want to bathe in it.

As an alternative, I've used a mix of baking soda, TSP, and epsom salts in
roughly equal proportion. It's not quite as strong as the above solution, but
you'd still probably want to use gloves.

First, wire brussh off the worst of the rust, and mix up a near to saturate
solution in a plastic, (not glass), container big enough to hold the part. Then
immerse the rusted portion in the water + electrolyte. Hook up the negative
pole of the battery charger to the part, and the positive pole to a piece of
stainless steel. Keep the charger's alligater clips out of the solution. Next
plug in the charger, and check every half hour to an hour or so. Keep the
stainless electrode as close to the rust as possible.

Bill

--
RKBA! ***** Blessings On Thee, Oh Israel! ***** 4-19!

Constitutional Government is dead, LONG LIVE THE CONSTITUTION!!!!!

turbulatordude 2002-08-10 10:35:32 UTC cleaning a ball screw Jon Elson 2002-08-10 13:30:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] cleaning a ball screw Bill Vance 2002-08-10 14:51:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] cleaning a ball screw John 2002-08-10 15:20:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] cleaning a ball screw cadcambee 2002-08-11 11:51:29 UTC Re: cleaning a ball screw JanRwl@A... 2002-08-11 12:49:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] cleaning a ball screw