CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Which is the best Cad-Cam Software?

Posted by tauscnc
on 2002-08-13 20:49:46 UTC
Hey Kirk,
ahh back to the same basic question, many times I have asked and
wondered myself (much like what milling machine is best-never a
straight answer hehehe). You have gotten the best answers, however it
still does not get you many steps further. Will my answer help out
anymore, probably not as I agree with the other guys : what is best
for you. The first thing to figure out is WHAT do you want to do. I,
for example, bought 4 axis drivers for 4 full axis control. I soon
found out that without a 4D converting program (mega $$$) it's
useless to have 4 axis. I bought it for "kicks" then but have figured
it out now. So the answer really is right, what do you plan to do and
make? How much money do you have to spend? And what are you looking
for "overall" in your CAD-CAM search. Is it for hobby or to make/sell
parts?

I hope to make no enemies and this is more a personal opinion. I have
never tired BobCAD but have heard nothing good about it. That has
kept me from even the curiosity of trying it out (which is pretty
rare). I did try VectorCAD-CAM after hearing much about it.
Personally, I found it to be very difficult to use. I found it very
illogical and difficult to work with. I have used TurboCAD for many
of my drawings and overall it's a good program, for 3D however I
think it was tough.

The program I would suggest for CAD, especially 3D would be Rhino3d
(www.rhino3d.com). It's a Wonderful program with excellent help,
tutorial, and very "straightforward." You are able to draw and render
your part to see how it will look exactly. It is not a "bad" price
but at a student discount it is truly a steal. I would buy it again
any day! This is however a CAD only program and you will need a CAM
and possibly a NC verifying program as suggested before.

I have tired Millwizard and really liked it. However, I don't like
only having the choice of rastering as you may not want to do this
all of the time. It is probably one of the easiest programs to use.
RAMS also seemed nice, when I tried it out, it was the "older
version" and they have updated it since. One nice thing about RAMS is
you are not limited to only rastering and can have it cut out 3D
lettering or a 3D "dxf file," for example. CNCwizard is also able to
do that and is being tested out now, I am pretty sure a hobby version
of that will be available sometime soon.

I have tired out Deskproto and found it a little tougher to use but
really liked it. Very fast program. Again, a rastering program from
what I could tell. I have downloaded VisualMill but have not received
the password key (been 1 full day now) so I have not been able to try
it out. I have the free version of Surfcam 2D and really like it. I
wish I could afford the full version but I believe the price is
around the same as Mastercam. Powermill, if I recall is around
$25,000 (correct me if I am wrong- PleasE!). From what I recall,
Mastercam, Gibbscam, Surfcam, etc. are all pretty expensive (many
many many thousands). I have not tried out Dolphin but will as my
search is still not over.

So what now? Well the question you ask is still the one I am trying
to answer for myself with what I think I need. More then likely I
will add either VisualMill or RAMS to my collection. Both if I recall
come with a NC verifying program which I find a "must have"
(Cutviewer by the way is probably the best one I have tried). Mainly
for 2 reasons. They will do 3D files and also 3D without rastering.
This would be very useful if you wanted to clean up the letters or
part after it has been rastered (I am sure there are other ways to do
this).

Later
tauseef
www.cuttingedgecnc.com

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Robert Campbell" <bob@c...> wrote:
> Kirk,
>
> I have just started selling Alibre Design www.alibre.com . Alibre
Design is
> a very nice 3D modeling program for a very low price.
>
> Contact me off line and I will give you more details.
>
> Bob Campbell

Mastercam. I
> > was frustrated by their quasi-Windows product that has the worst
> > implementation of Windows standard look and feel as I have ever
seen.
> > You have to factor in that I spend most of my waking hours in
from of
> > some version of Windows and standard Windows Applications
> > (Word,Corel,Excel,Access, VB, etc). Does that mean their software
> > was bad?...no just bad for me.
> >
> > I once made the mistake of reviewing several CAD-CAM programs and
> > submitted it to the list. It started a brew-ha-ha that went on
for
> > days. I downplayed the value of DOS and focused on Windows
> > applications. I've lived through 6 versions of DOS and I have
moved
> > on. That approach drew screams of protest and started a whole new
> > thread of political discontent. What I learned from that is
everyone
> > must choose for themselves. There are almost as many opinions on
> > what is the best software as what is the best color to go with
Mauve!

> > If you want to contact me off list I will be glad to give you MY
> > opinions as to what I found as best for ME.
> >
> > Start out by trying out several of the packages that provide a
full
> > featured demo you can download. No doubt others can give you the
> > names of several to try. What I did find was that after using my
> > machine for a while my needs were better defined (I figured out
what
> > I wanted to make with my machine).
> >
> > One good thing about this list is that there are no shortage of
> > suggestions. Sometimes you may ask "what time is it" and you get
> > lesson on how to build a watch, but at least there are plenty of
> >
> > This is a GREAT hobby.
> >

> > Addresses:
> >
> > OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> > If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
reach it if
> you have trouble.
> > http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

as a
> sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT
> subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
> >
> > NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY
POSTING THEM.