CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: abbreviations

Posted by cadcamcenter
on 2002-08-27 15:28:31 UTC
Hi Alan,

> HTH
>
> Alan KM6VV
> P.S. More abbreviations for you!

HTH? Which one?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Head to Head - brain injury ABI/TBI magazine with a Christian
perspective.
http://plainfield.bypass.com/~pwebb/hth.htm
More sites about: Vermont > Saint Johnsbury > Health

Ham to Ham - articles from the column as published by 73 Magazine.
http://www.rrsta.com/hth/
More sites about: Amateur and Ham Radio > Magazines

Hard-to-Handle - features news, band member and concert information,
and more.
http://hth.iscool.net/
More sites about: Luxembourg > Rock and Pop > Artists
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I guess the third - hard-to-handle. Unfortunately nothing to do with
CADnorCAMnorEDMnorDRO

abbreviation rejected for entry into CCEDstore abbreviation table for
lack of relevance.

DEC, PDP8?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Doug Jones's DEC PDP-8 index
... Answers to Frequently Asked Questions. General information about
the PDP-8
family of machines is contained in the alt.sys.pdp8 general FAQ. ...
and history.

DEC = Digital Equipment Corporation
PDP-8 is a 12 bit single accumulator machine which can address up to
32K 12 bit words. It has 8 basic instructions. Important early mini
computer still used for industrial control, controlling experiments,
running businesses, word processing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK. These entries will be included in the database in due time as
there are still quite a number of old geezers out there doing CCED
work.

Peter

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> What's in a name? I guess "TTY interface" must be the REAL
McCoy! "TTY
> [...]
changed on
> the "screen". Suddenly, it's not a "one line display", but 24
lines (or
> whatever)!
>
> MORE COMMENTS BELOW:
>
> cadcamcenter wrote:
> >
> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...>
wrote:
> > > Hi Peter,
> >
> > > A "TTY interface" is meant to describe a single line of text
sent
> > to an
> > > output device at a time. DOS command line command is an
example.
> > Hmmm,
> > > sounds like Gcode's "blocks". Gcode started out on TTY's (my
first
> > > "consulting" job. Yeah, that was a while ago).
> >
> > Is there a difference between TTY interface and TTY style
interface?

> > That old black screen with a series of lines of white text, where
one
> > enter text like
> >
> > c:\autoexec.bat [enter]
> >
> > or
> >
> > c:\cd a: [enter]
> >
> > etc
> >
> > is TTY interface?
>
> Yes, EARLY CRT's were just "glass TTY's", and were treated this
way.
> Some responses may use more then one line to display, say, a table,
but
> until the "screen" stays put and data is simply updated in the
various
> places on the "screen", I'd still call 'em "Glass TTY's" or "TTY
style
> interfaces".
>

> > TurboCNC, DeskNC, CNCPro etc where one may press some button to
> > execute some command, eg, pressing [L] to jog left and [R] to jog
> > right. This is TTY interface/TTY style interface/both?
>
> Actually, the keys used to execute something have nothing to do with
> being TTY style interfaces. It's the screen presentation that
counts!
> These are just "short cut" keys, used instead of typing "move left"
or
> something like that on a keyboard. A set of keys is agreed upon to
> denote special functions.
>
> These programs, (even my STEP4), are using an "addressable screen"
(for
> lack of a better name) or perhaps APA "All Points Addressable",
when we
> move from a text mode screen to a graphics mode screen. That's why
the
> XYZ coordinates displayed on the screens of these programs are
updated
> (sometimes on the fly) quite often. Imagine what things would look
like
> if you had to print out a new line on a TTY for X, Y, and Z each
time
> they were updated! And all the other changing parameters! LOTTA
PAPER
> (can be useful in debug, as an "audit trail")!
>

> > DeskNC for windows, FlashcutCNC, Master5, Acad. These are GUI's
> > Are the provisions for entering commands like in MDI within the
GUI's
> > (if there is such a thing)
>
> These "Windoz programs" are using a GRAPHICS mode for the screen.
These
> are, for example 800 x 600 pixel displays, as opposed to 80 x 24
> CHARACTER displays (the video board does this for us). GUI's
(Graphical
> User Interfaces) usually imply graphics of some sort. Text in
boxes,
> round buttons, "sliders", scalable "STROKE FONTS" (text is "drawn"
in
> terms of pixels instead of character row/col position), and other
little
> widgets. MDI has NOTHING to do with being a GUI; TurboCNC, STEP4
and
> other DOS program (text screen) UI's have them! A program can have
> "command line" interface available (which is what MDI's are) whether
> they are GUI's or not.
>

> > MDI: G01 Y1 F20 [enter]
> >
> > or the Command Bar in Acad
> >
> > Command> Line [enter]
> > Command:First point> 3,4,0 [enter]
> >
> > are they TTY style interface?
>
> Yes, that single "command line" or small window of lines could be
> considered a TTY style interface, if you like. "file, run" in
Windoz
> 3.1 offers you a single "command line". "start, run" in Windoz 98
also
> offers you a similar single line command entry.
>
> Under the hood, a controller program with a GUI operates
essentially the
> same as a program that employs a text screen for a UI. Now whether
the
> program runs on DOS or Windoz, THAT's another thing!!
>

> HTH
>
> Alan KM6VV
> P.S. More abbreviations for you!
>

> > Thanks
> >
> > Peter

Discussion Thread

cadcamcenter 2002-08-26 23:42:24 UTC abbreviations Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-08-27 10:47:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] abbreviations cadcamcenter 2002-08-27 12:52:23 UTC Re: abbreviations Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-08-27 13:45:12 UTC Re: abbreviations cadcamcenter 2002-08-27 15:28:31 UTC Re: abbreviations Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-08-27 16:16:21 UTC Re: abbreviations cadcamcenter 2002-08-27 16:22:57 UTC Re: abbreviations