CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: linear scales for cheap

Posted by caudlet
on 2002-08-31 07:55:57 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Joe Barnes" <toblave@a...> wrote:
> The linear scales that I could find in catalogs are expensive.
>
> Is there a source for linear scales that would be considerably less
than the
> $300+ for an 8" scale?
>
> I seem to recall mention that Digi-Key sold scales for $2 an inch,
plus
> heads, but all I find in their online catalog is more costly stuff.

US Digital sells linear strips in several different lines per inch.
They also sell the reader heads and quadrature decoder chips. The
challenge is how to mount the flexible strip and slide it past the
reader head (or visa versa) Glass scales are more difficult to come
by. I have suggested that the people at Shooting Star make their
linear encoders based on a precision rack and rotary encoder from
their DRO product, available as a reasonably priced seperate item.
Since the rack can be any length and cut if needed it adapts well to
different applications. Currently it's almost as cheap to buy the
whole package as it is just the scales. I think they are missing a
potential market but heck, what does any engineer know about
marketing!

Discussion Thread

Joe Barnes 2002-08-30 22:12:01 UTC linear scales for cheap caudlet 2002-08-31 07:55:57 UTC Re: linear scales for cheap Joe Barnes 2002-09-01 11:26:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: linear scales for cheap