CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: (re)introduction

Posted by ticutter
on 2002-09-05 10:40:15 UTC
Hi Chuck,
I have benn using bobcad since 94 or 95 cant remember.
Yes it is a little strange compaired to mastercam or surfcam proE ect.
I am more of a hands on g code programmer for 30 years. I started at
the flexwritter with paper and plastic tape...
I have to do some un-natural moves with the tools to make the parts I
make. I find that bobcad give me more control in this respect. I dont
find bobcads z function effective for my use in most cases. I draw my
own 3 d drawings that have to be machines. In this case I have had
great luck with bobcads skinning function. It has been upgraded from
17 for ease of use. Mastercam is like cnc for folks who want to let
it make the decisions but will machine 3 d ect well. I am not makeing
scanned 3d programs for model making ect so I cannot address this
stye of programming.
Bobcad 18 the newest version is very powerful. They have changed the
interface from 17. Ver 18 is always active.. (i like this)
It also has many right click ect comands that work great ect.
I do feel however that 18 is not as good on the fillet system. 17 was
the best cad system I have ever seen to connect 3 fillets together
with no trimming. 17 was the was great at this.
I like driving the tool around the part live as bobcad does so I can
see what its doing. This comes from standing in front of the machine
for many years and just knowing what the tool needs to do I guess.

18 is nice when picking several points and having it put the circel
ect on all of them at one time. 18 has scripting also. This allows
you to write programs that are used in you cam and cad side that do
certain functions the way you want to do them. Scripting is very
powerful.
Good luck finding the ultimate cad cam program.
Darrel
Ps I use a kitamura my center 1 fanuc control, aArca knee mill
centroid 3 axis retrofit,
Max_nc (sold)servo machine and a new taig servo mill from super tech.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Chuck Hackett" <egroupscdh@W...> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been monitoring this list off and on for several years and
posted a
> couple of messages. I think I introduced myself a long time ago
but I
> haven't been an active poster so I'd (re)introduce myself.
>
> I am a retired software engineer (mostly banking/financial
networking). The
> major items in my home shop are:
>
> Emco Maier Super 11 lathe that I have converted to CNC while
maintaining
> manual operation.
>
> Enco 9x42 floor mill (Bridgeport clone) that I have converted to
CNC while
> maintaining manual operation. I only have X and Y on this machine
because I
> didn't like most of the quill retrofits I came across. I had
designed a
> retrofit that drove the quill axially from above but then along
came ....

> A 1981 vintage Bridgeport Series I that I have removed the Boss-6
controller
> from and am in the process of installing an Ahha RC-500 12 amp
driver on.

> I have been using Ahha Artisan for many years (CNC pro before that)
and
> helped Richard and Doug debug some of the early 'lost step'
problems in CNC
> pro.
>
> My long association with the Ahha equipment should by no means be
construed
> as having in-depth knowledge of Artisan or CNC in general. I enjoy
using
> CNC but I have probably developed lots of bad habits and non-
standard
> practices since I'm mostly self taught. In particular I'm just
getting used
> to the mill Z movements, tool length comp, et. al. and will
probably be
> bugging you all about such things.
>
> I have monitored with interest the discussions of CAM packages. I
currently
> have BobCAD V17 and am continually frustrated with the user
interface and
> lack of good documentation. I am considering upgrading to either
Dolphin or
> Vector as they both seem to have many supporters here. Any
comments as to
> the strengths of each in a home shop environment where its small
runs and
> flexibility, ease of use are pluses? I do mostly Lathe and 2.5D
Mill work.
> I have not done any 3-D work but would like to attempt some in the
future.

> Unfortunately I probably don't have the CNC knowledge background to
post
> lots of answers but I will when I can.
>
> I'm also on the 'Livesteamers' and 'Model Engineering' lists and
some of you
> may know me from there.
>
> My main use of the shop is the care and feeding of a 7.5" gauge
Live Steam
> Locomotive (http://www.whitetrout.net/chuck/844/Index.htm).
>
> Well, sorry for the long intro :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chuck Hackett
> Omaha, Nebraska, USA
> 7.5" gauge UP Northern 844

Discussion Thread

Chuck Hackett 2002-09-05 10:12:40 UTC (re)introduction ticutter 2002-09-05 10:40:15 UTC Re: (re)introduction IMService 2002-09-05 15:07:23 UTC Re: Re: (re)introduction ticutter 2002-09-05 15:47:49 UTC Re: (re)introduction stevenson_engineers 2002-09-05 17:34:27 UTC Re: (re)introduction