CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Laser cutting pvc

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-09-09 19:20:03 UTC
I think you may have problems with the Glue even with a laser. I had to have a lot of Gaskets cut out of Volara closed cell foam about .040 thick. (vacuum jig gaskets) I recall the edges melting
back a bit on the ones that had a "built in" adhesive backing. Also owning a typical vinyl cutter,, I can see some "meltback" happening for sure but maybe it will allow you to peel it. I also wonder
if you can afford some some marks in the surface under the tag, even though i see you metion wire wheeling them..... The foam I sent out for cutting was placed on .080 aluminum to hold it and I know
the aluminum got marks in it from the laser.

I think you'll have a sticky mess after a while with a wire wheel.

I was wondering if you considered High pressure water to "pop" the rascals off. I've done that. This way no one gets all sticky peeling it off as it flys off in one fell swoop. If you are
repainting or refinishing, you'd likely have to use a solvent to get the sticky stuff off.

Go down to the nearest truck shop with a 4000+psi pressure washer and narrow nozzle. Hot water if possible. See what happens. Usually you can even do it without getting much water on the part.

Oh, and Watch your body parts !!! even 4000 psi gets pretty nasty !

Chris L