CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Use a scope to determine overvoltage needed forstepper motors

Posted by hansw
on 2000-01-29 06:50:00 UTC
Jon Elson wrote:

> From: Jon Elson <jmelson@...>
>

> Unfortunately, all of these are real-time scopes, and are very poor for
> very slow or one-time events.

Not the Digital version, tigger it correctly and capture it to memeory... it works BETTER than the old phosphor storage scopes.

> I use a real-time scope a lot, but for servo
> tuning, etc. they just don't do it. Real storage scopes are finicky, and the
> CRT tubes cost much too much for a hobbyist to replace, if they go bad.
>
> For these kinds of applications, a DSO of any sort just can't be beat.
> We just got a Tek TDS3054, 4 ch, 500 MHz bandwidth, 5 GSa/Sec,
> Digital Persistence, waveform math, everything you could ever want.
> About $8975 (University Discount). Well, a LOVELY instrument,
> but only Bill Gates could afford it for hobby use!

Right, but the 4 channel $1195 brand new item is a better value than any CRT based scope for the same $$$$

I'd love to have the TDS3054, but will stay happy and content with my 4(true) channel 100 MHz Iwatsu ( $600 used )
BTW for the slower stuff, I would simply use my (see web site) 12 bit Serial ADC and scale the input. It has a high stability
reference and can be event triggered.
It will of course only sample at 11K sample /second when run at 230400 Baud for one channel....

About September, my USB project ( web site) is going 8 channel ( I just got the Cypress C compiler ) and then it will be 1 mega
samples second at least, in a 12 bit version, this will be a spin off of another project I will be doing at that time.

Toys Toys... would I like more toys.... YES !

Jon, thanks for the insights, your opinions are worth reading...

hansw