CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Freehand CAD drawing

Posted by caudlet
on 2002-09-17 10:33:29 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Dan Statman" <dan.statman@r...> wrote:
> I need a program that can draw freehand curves. I would prefer a
> program that I can set some anchor points and then move the mouse
> alter the curvature of the connecting lines.
>
> I am looking for something with a short learning curve,
inexpensive,
> and has the ability to export or save files in a format readable by
> Vector so that I can create toolpaths from it.
>
> What programs should I look for and what do they typically cost. I
> need no advanced features.
>
> Thnaks,
>
> Daniel J. Statman, Statman Designs
> www.statmandesigns.com

Any version of CorelDraw from 5.0 up (current release is 10.0) will
do what you want. You can pickup the older versions for real cheap.
I have ver 9 but I wanted the clipart from version 4 so I found one
on e-bay for 8 bucks. With the Line drawing tool, Corel will let you
draw a line in freehand mode and it will create a curve (and smooth
it) if you hold the mouse button down while you drag it. You can
also set a point, release the left button then pick another point and
click again for a line that can then be changed to a curve. Clicking
on the end points of a curve displays "handles" that allow you to
adjust the curve any way you want. Doing node editing in the vector
tool of Corel is easy and the program imports and exports just about
any file format you would ever need for 2D work.

Corel should be considered an "Illustration Tool" rather than a CAD
tool. It will maintain precision of imported files but is not made
to do parts layouts and dimensioning. Given that Corel comes with a
100 or so Fonts and its massive vector based clipart collection and
what's not to love ;-)

Discussion Thread

Dan Statman 2002-09-17 09:45:42 UTC Freehand CAD drawing caudlet 2002-09-17 10:33:29 UTC Re: Freehand CAD drawing JJ 2002-09-17 10:34:31 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Freehand CAD drawing Michael Milligan 2002-09-17 10:35:22 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Freehand CAD drawing Les Watts 2002-09-17 13:59:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Freehand CAD drawing stevenson_engineers 2002-09-17 14:31:45 UTC Re: Freehand CAD drawing Dan Statman 2002-09-17 14:42:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Freehand CAD drawing JJ 2002-09-17 15:55:15 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Freehand CAD drawing caudlet 2002-09-18 07:29:51 UTC Re: Freehand CAD drawing