CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] screening

Posted by w.higdon@a...
on 2002-09-22 08:58:25 UTC
Jon Elson wrote in reply to ALex0youngs question,> Hi,

> Got myself a screened cable with 2 wires to be used
for the step-
> direction signal cables. I noticed that the USB cable
screen is
> an "aluminised?" sheet in contact with an exposed
earth wire.

> The "screened" cable I have, the "screen" is
a "network" of fine
> copper strands, no "aluminised" sheet. Will this be as
effective as a
> screen for signal cable?

The aluminized mylar shield, if made well, is slightly
better at shielding
electrostatic fields. This makes a difference
especially to microphone
signals running around inside radio stations, where the
transmitter fills
everything with interference. The braided wire shield
is more durable
over the long term with much cable flexing. Probably
either will work
well in this case for a hobby or home shop machine. For
real industrial
use, the braid shield would be desirable. There is also
special cable
made with more, finer wire strands to be used in
applications with a great
deal of flexing.

Jon

For real low noise work there are cables with a braid
over a foil sheild (usually RF coax type cables)like RG-
214.
Bill Higdon