CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: 1st of many home-built CNC

on 2000-01-31 11:10:04 UTC
Hello Joe;

I found the MicroKinetics software to be the best finished low end package,
but it must be used with their board. Also, it does not work well with
large motors because there is no ramping in jog mode (so it loses steps).
One advantage of this system is that the board is optoisolated - something
you should have if you are controlling a plasma torch.

EMC is powerful and free but best suited for someone who likes to tinker.
You really need to be a programmer of sorts to work with it. As it develops
further, I suspect this will be less of an issue.

CNC-Pro is reliable, mostly bug-free and runs fast - real fast. It's cheap,
powerful and Doug Yeager keeps improving it. I looked at DeskNC, Ahha and a
few others but finally went with CNC-Pro for the reasons mentioned.

If you were using small motors or didn't need the jog function I have a
Microkinetics board and software I would sell cheap.

Doug Harrison