CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re:smithy 1700 Shop design...

Posted by Rob Purdy
on 2002-09-23 22:35:28 UTC
Well I'm currently enclosing my carport into a garage/shop I'll have
~13'x23' to play in. So as they say size does matter but it's not the main
consideration. I agree seperate tools are best when you have the room.
However I do currently have a shureline, a 6" atlas lathe, full size drill
press, grinder yadda yadda.. all in a 10'x12' space. It's cozy to say the
least.
Since I already have a lathe and drill press I was also considering the
enco mill/drill he has. I don't recall the model # off hand but it's pretty
much the same benchtop model that is on sale right now in the enco
flyer.(pg.4 at the bottom). My intended use is to make robot parts. My
sureline and to a lesser extent the lathe are quickily becomming inadaquate
size wise. The smithy would proably be sufficient for these tasks. However
I called smithy today and they said they don't have the cnc parts anymore.
That said I also worry about other parts availablity. So I'm thinking the
enco would be easier to adapt to cnc. It currently has a power feed for the
x axis. Pretty much everything you see in the flyer. He also has a 12 pice
collett set and some dial indicators to go with it for $1000. I'm leaning
towards going the enco route unless some one make some good reasons against
it.

I will have a 13'x23' space to work in with 2 regular doors about the middle
and the main garage doors which will swing out at one end. I'm planning on
keepintg the wood tools(table saw, chop saw etc..) at one end and the metal
tools at the other. I'm also planning on covering all the walls in 3/4"
plywood to make mounting shelves easy and to help with noise isolation. I
can pretty much do any thing I want with the space. Any ideas suggestions
of things to do or not do would be much appreciated.

Thanks Rob...

>Message: 17
> Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 15:56:53 -0400
> From: "j.guenther" <j.guenther@...>
>Subject: RE: Smithy 1700 cnc
>
>IMHO not a bad price for a 3-in-1 machine, but most people here will tell
>you separate machines are better. Maybe yes, maybe no, depends on your
>shop
>and what you are going to be making. I would say if you like the machine
>and it fits your needs, shop and wallet then go for it. It is more work to
>switch setups between turning and milling but if you plan your work and the
>steps in your projects you can minimize the setup changes.
>
>John Guenther
>Sterling, Virginia

Rob Purdy 2002-09-23 22:35:28 UTC Re:smithy 1700 Shop design... Brian Punkar 2002-09-23 23:22:03 UTC Re:smithy 1700 Shop design... Mark 2002-09-24 05:09:45 UTC Re:smithy 1700 Shop design... Peter 2002-09-24 07:35:47 UTC Re:smithy 1700 Shop design... Tim Goldstein 2002-09-24 09:11:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:smithy 1700 Shop design...