CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Coolant PUMP systems

on 2002-09-26 06:08:43 UTC
Good start,

may I recommend that you put some sort of inverted screen on the main
pan. that would stop larger parts from getting into the bucket.

then, if you have room, a handy-dandy stainless kitchen strainer
directly under the drain pan. that will catch 80% of the other
chips. The nice thing about these are that when the pump if off for
awhile, the chips drain and are pretty dry to remove.

Using the bucket as the catch place means you have to have use a
third bucket and a strainer and pour the coolant out to remove chips.
That will be much more messy.

And if you want a tip from industrial applications, put a baffle in
the middle of the first bucket so that it hangs on the top of the
bucket always above the water line and hangs to about 2/3 down. that
way, all the coolant must flow down, then up. any oils or floating
bits will be trapped in this first section. The lower open section
should be big enough that the coolant flow is sloooooow.

Actually, industrial and commercial tanks use one baffle hanging
about 2/3 down in the first section, then 2/3 up in the second
creating three chambers. the first stops oils, the second stops
solids. The third is clean.(theoetically)

another idea is to put your pump into an old coffee can with lots of
holes, and wrap that with your screen/cheese cloth. then put a
handle on that. when you need to pull it out of the tank, you can
hang it by the handle to let it drip.

You didn't mention how you are connecting the tanks. if you do use
two, the transfer pipe should be above the middle so that the
sediments do not get pulled over. But one with a baffle and the
coffee can hanging about half way down would work fine.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Lloyd Leung" <lloyd@l...> wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should implement a coolant
> pump system?
>

> My current plan is this:
>
> - Splash shield over my lathe/trough
>
> - Flowing into a bucket, allowing sediment to sink.
>
> - Flowing into a second bucket
>
> - Cheese cloth over aquarium pump (low pressure, high
volume)

> The pump will be controlled via a relay.
>

> Anyone see any problems with this?
>

> Anyone care to share their experiences on this type of idea?
>

> Thanks.

Lloyd Leung 2002-09-25 23:56:47 UTC Coolant PUMP systems Marv Frankel 2002-09-26 03:09:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Coolant PUMP systems turbulatordude 2002-09-26 06:08:43 UTC Re: Coolant PUMP systems Bill Vance 2002-09-26 08:30:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Coolant PUMP systems Jon Elson 2002-09-26 11:02:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Coolant PUMP systems Marv Frankel 2002-09-26 12:11:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Coolant PUMP systems Lloyd Leung 2002-09-26 13:24:00 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Coolant PUMP systems Jon Elson 2002-09-26 21:36:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Coolant PUMP systems Brian 2002-09-27 20:03:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Coolant PUMP systems