CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] antibacklash nut concept for mini mills...thoughts??

Kayla Sanders wrote:

> do you guys think this would work?
> all you would have to doto impliment this concept is to either use
> a set screw or long bolt long enough to screw into the existing hole
> that locks the nut in place, and that would also go into the brass
> nut and apply pressure against the back section of the nut(this
> would ensure that the nut will not turn,and get rid of the backlash
> all in one shot), seperating the nut in the middle ,eliminating the
> backlash. or use a set screw in the nut and tighten it through the
> existing threaded hole in the saddle.
> personally, i like the first one because it takes care of two birds
> with one stone.
> you can adjust it as it wears the threads, to compensate.
>
> the image of what im talking about is in the photos section,
> titled "No backlash nut.jpg"

The problem with this is that it will wear the screw and nuts pretty
fast. Most well-used screws have the thread a little thinner
in the middle, so a spring-load arrangement would work.

Maybe if there was no wear in one part of the screw, you could set this
type of device for some very small backlash, and it wouldn't increase
screw wear. That might work pretty well. Backlash compensator nuts
are used on some higher-end tools, such as my Sheldon lathe.

Kayla Sanders 2002-09-28 01:00:37 UTC antibacklash nut concept for mini mills...thoughts?? mart_wid 2002-09-28 03:55:26 UTC Re: antibacklash nut concept for mini mills...thoughts?? Jon Elson 2002-09-28 22:29:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] antibacklash nut concept for mini mills...thoughts?? dazedNconfused 2002-09-29 00:08:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] antibacklash nut concept for mini mills...thoughts??