CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 419 Scam, Are you Getting as Many of these as I am?

John Berg wrote:

> I have been getting 5 to 10 of these a week. I believe they are finding my E-Mail address through some of the interest groups I belong to (in no way do I believe any of the fine people who are members of these groups are involved). If my assumption is correct all of you are receiving lots of the E-Mails also. Below is a link to a group that is trying to control this. In particular there are links to U.S. Government sites that are charged with trying to control this.
>
> I also report any occurrence of these scam E-Mails to the source E-Mail provider. They almost always respond that the E-Mail address has been closed.

If these are truly coming from Nigeria, or other African country, I doubt sending
a complaint to their ISP will do much good. This may be a major source of
their business. If these are coming from a US or European ISP, then you may
have better luck. If it gets truly out of hand, and it may be getting there, the US
and European ISPs may put those African ISPs on their blocking lists, and they
will simply disappear. You can do this yourself, of course.

If there is anything threatening in these emails, you should report it to the
chain of ISPs that relayed the mail, as that moves it to a more serious
category of abuse. The solicitation for a scam is really just junk mail,
but a threat is a crime in and of itself.

This is the last I will post on this subject, I hope Bill won't jump on me for
this.

John Berg 2002-10-04 08:53:27 UTC 419 Scam, Are you Getting as Many of these as I am? Bill Vance 2002-10-04 09:14:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 419 Scam, Are you Getting as Many of these as I am? Jon Elson 2002-10-04 10:54:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 419 Scam, Are you Getting as Many of these as I am?