CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3 phase converter and odd behavior on CNC mill

Posted by Keith Bowers
on 2002-10-11 16:39:19 UTC
Measure the incoming line-to-line voltage; should be around 240 VAC.

Measure phase to phase voltages coming out of the converter with the load
off and on.

In general three phase work the phase to neutral/ground voltage doesn't make
a whole lot of difference. The whole idea of three phase power is to hang
the load between phases. Assume it is wired delta until proved differently.

Smell the phase converter; does it have a strange or "burnt" odor? Open it
up and look at the "guts", especially capacitors. Be careful, if there
aren't bleeder resistors some of the capacitors could be charged enough to
hurt someone. Are any of the caps bulged, or showing signs of leakage around
the terminals or seams? Caution, if the phase converter is really old, the
metal can capacitors could contain PCBs. Check the relays inside the phase
converter for burned contacts.

If the controller *electronics* are powered by a single phase (two wires) be
sure they are connected to the two hot wires that go back to the 240 V
supply. If at all possible it is best to avoid running electronics off the
generated phase.

Keith Bowers - Thomasville, NC