CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: what's better?

Posted by afogassa
on 2002-10-11 16:43:33 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "dakota8833" <dakota8833@b...> wrote:
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:
> > afogassa wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, all
> > >
> > > I'm getting ready to install a servo drive+ motor to my gantry,
> > > And I'm wondering if I should conect the servo to the shaft
using
> > > direct coupling or use a timing belt in a 2 to 1 ratio.
> > > Torque should be no problem in either configuration.
> > > What would be better?
> > >

> > It depends on the ratings of the motor. First, see if you can
> determine
> > the
> > available torque, and top speed at some voltage. If the motor
has
> lots
> > of speed to spare, then you can use a belt reduction. If the top
> speed in
> > direct drive is close to the speed you want to achieve, then you
> CAN'T
> > use a reduction.
> >
> I drive direct because of the high speeds I need. If torque is no
> problem and speed is important then don't reduce.Quality couplers
are
> cheaper than a belt reduction asmy. What is your ratio direct
coupled
> ? What is the encoder counts per inch of travel. What controller
> software are you using and can it keep up at high speeds. I plan on
> increasing torque on my router though belt and pully. Rather than
> increasing lead screw pitch ( there is a limit on how many rpms you
> can turn a long unsuported screw ). Also with reduction encoder
counts
> go up ,.. can the controller software handle it or will you need to
> change encoders.
>
> Let us know
>
> Frank

well, I've test it and found out that I really need a 2:1 ratio to
increase torque, it will need 5000 mm/min rapids, and I have a 10mm
pitch ballscrew on it.
It would be ideal if I can keep 0.01mm accuracy using a 500ppr
encoder and a 2;1 ratio using RUTEX servo drives.
I have the servo drive and the motor and the ballscrew it can not
be changed, but the gear ratio.
software is desknc or deskncwin.

motor is running (i guess) direct connect at about 2000 rpm. max.

Discussion Thread

afogassa 2002-10-09 20:40:16 UTC what's better? Jon Elson 2002-10-10 23:32:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] what's better? dakota8833 2002-10-11 10:57:55 UTC Re: what's better? afogassa 2002-10-11 16:43:33 UTC Re: what's better? dakota8833 2002-10-12 07:43:51 UTC Re: what's better?