CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

beginners software ( was Re: Some basic questions...

on 2002-10-13 07:03:54 UTC
Hi Peter,

unless you are well versed in Linux, I would recomend you start out
with TurboCNC.

#1, it's cheap $20.00

#2 it's very comfortable in an OLD PC, no special requirements.

#3 it is simple

#4 learing is fast

#5 it lets you test your switches and movements easily.

#6 g-code from TurboCNC can be used on any other G-code box will some
modification. I believe that TurboCNC (and many others) have some
program specific code, but the vast majority can be ported easily.

I am not saying this is the 'best' software. just that it is lower
cost and easier to START and learn than others.

for a newbie, it is less painful buying a $20.00 program then
switching up to one that cost $200 than to spend $200 and finding
that is not what you need and then spending another lump for the
ideal program.

Will if be your final program ? maybe not. each program has it's
own quirks and benefits. that you will decide for yourself.

But for inital set-up and testing, the cost is hard to beat.

imho

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Peter Moreton" <peter@r...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm starting down the CNC route, and would like to ask some
questions
> regarding my plans, before I make too many mistakes! If I list out
the
> salient points below, perhaps lister's could comment upon my
thinking...

> 1. I have acquired 3 large stepper motors, they are 'Oriental Motor
> VEXTA' devices, model number 3056-9412, rated at 2.9V / 3.3A and
are 1.8
> deg/step. Size wise, they have 70mm mounting centres and are 63mm
deep.
> A bit small , I know, but I'm not looking for speed. Probably about
300
> oz/inch?. Question, The steppers are marked as '2-phase'. Could
> anyone explain to me the significance of this?
>
> 2. I have a Bridgeport series-1 mill, in good condition. Do I really
> *need* to buy zero backlash leadscrews, or will the CNC controller
> software be able to calibrate out the backlash in the existing
> leadscrews?.
>
> 3. On the topic of the Bridgeport, does anyone have a view on how
best
> to make the mechanical connection from the stepper to the X,Y,Z
axis. I
> am expecting to use a toothed belt system, and wonder if there are
any
> commercial kits of parts to simplify the attachment of the steppers?
>
> 4. I have not yet purchased stepper driver boards, Gecko's would be
> nice, however I would like to use the cheaper Xylotex board instead,
> even though it cannot drive the steppers I have at full power.
>
> 5. Software wise, I was planning to use the BDI (Brain Dead Install)
> version of EMC on an old PC, and AutoCAD for drawing generation.
>
> Thanks for all input, Peter Moreton

Discussion Thread

Peter Moreton 2002-10-13 04:37:37 UTC Some basic questions... turbulatordude 2002-10-13 06:49:03 UTC torque - basic start on a Bridgeport ( was Re: Some basic questions... turbulatordude 2002-10-13 07:03:54 UTC beginners software ( was Re: Some basic questions... Dan Statman 2002-10-13 07:11:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] beginners software ( was Re: Some basic questions... turbulatordude 2002-10-13 07:45:11 UTC beginners software ( was Re: Some basic questions... Jon Elson 2002-10-13 23:36:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Some basic questions...