CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Power supply capacitor

on 2002-10-13 07:13:15 UTC
Hi J,

To answer your question first :

based on the power supplies paper in the geckodrive.com site
the calculation is C=((80000*I)/V)

your three motors at 2.5 ea = 7.5 amps.
24 vdc power

C=((80,000*7.5)/24)= 25,000uF

I would look at the maximum voltage your motors can handle and get
caps's that will handle that much plus a safety factor. if, in the
future you bump up to that higher supply voltage, all you need would
be the transformer.

or.... just get 3 cheap ones from Jameco 10,000uF/50V as they are
cheap enough. I think they are about 5 bux apiece.

btw, 470uF x 35V caps at Jameco are less than 20 cents each.

OK, now for the switching power supply. does it already have
capacitors ? often they are stuffed to keep the powerline noise
down. you may only need to suppliment those, or maybe there is
enough there already ?

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., J <jaredts@y...> wrote:
> I am getting the final components together to run powermax II
steppers with a xylotex stepper driver. I feel forced to use a 24
volt switching power supply based on the prices I have found. I know
I will need a large capacitor (2,000-10,000uF) on the supply. Can
anyone tell me how big is really necessary? My motors will have to
be wired series, I think, because they draw 2.3 amps/phase in series
and 4.6 amps/phase in parallel and the driver is 2.5 amps/phase max.