CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Clifton Precision Servo Specs

Posted by whippo6
on 2002-10-15 21:52:08 UTC
Thanks Bill, Jan and Steven,

I got these servo motors from ebay. for a picture of them see:
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1770858030>

I plan on using them on an Emco Compact 5 CNC lathe which I
purchased from Bill Anliker. After removing the old electronics,
I will be driving them with Gecko G340s (thanks Mariss). I'm
going to rewind a microwave oven transformer for the power supply
(thanks Jan for the how-to). As soon as I get the power supply
built I will hook them up to the PMDX-120 Parallel Port Accessory
Module/Super Breakout Board which I got from Steve Stallings at
NAMES this year. The PMDX has a test mode which I can use to
generate the step and direction signals and test the servos out
with until I get a computer setup with TurboCNC (and maybe one
day Master5 or EMC). Hopefully by then Alan Marconett or someone
else will have figured out an easy way to software control the
speed of the KB Electronics spindle motor control that I'll be
using to control a Surplus Center treadmill motor. I've also got
Vector CAD/CAM but haven't had time yet to do the tutorial.
I'm slowly making progress....

Right now I'm trying to understand these servo motors.

Exactly how do I hook up the encoder to a pullup resistor with the
G340s?

I also need to know what voltage I can run them at and what the
max current is. Of course I would also like to know the torque
and speed constants for them without measuring them since I
don't have a Tektronix scope yet.

I've been reading this list from email #1 to the current over #51000
and want to thank everyone who has contributed. I've learned
a tremendous amount in the past year that I've been studying this
stuff. THANK YOU!

Wayne Whippo (Boulder, CO) - In Digest Mode

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Steven Ciciora <sciciora@A...> wrote:
> Sounds like some motors I have at home. Did you buy them from
Gateway
> Electronics, years ago? I've also found them in old line printers,
for
> moving the print head back and forth. The outputs are Open
Collector,
> meaning they need a pullup resistor to +5V for TTL output. There
are two
> sets of lines on the glass disk on the shaft encoder. Different
> resolutions. Each one has A and B outputs, 90 deg. apart. I was
just
> planning on using one for Halloween, to keep track of a rotating
mirror
> position, while I strobe a laser pointer. Should look cool in the
fog from
> the fog machine.
>
> What other info do you need? What is your application? What do
you want
> to drive them with?
>
> - Steven Ciciora (Superior, CO)
>

> At 04:58 PM 10/14/02 -0000, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >I have a couple of DC permanent magnet brush servo motors I'm
trying
> >to find the specifications for. They measure 2.25 inch diameter
> >by 4 inch long plus a 1 inch long encoder.
> >
> >Clifton Precision (Litton)
> >Model No. DH-2250-AU-1
> >P/N 96214-994206-0001, Rev G.
> >Date Code 8244
> >
> >I've looked at the specs on the Poly-Scientific site
> >at <http://www.polysci.com/datasheetlist.htm>
> >selecting: Permanent Magnet DC Motors
> >to download <http://www.polysci.com/Documents/moc23series.pdf>
> >or from <http://www.polysci.com/Motors/c23series.html>.
> >
> >but these motors are not listed. They must have been made before
> >Northrop Grumman Poly-Scientific acquired Clifton Precision.
> >
> >The encoder has a circuit board labeled "Texas Instruments" and has
> >a LM339N chip on it. Any idea if it is TTL compatible?
> >
> >Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Wayne Whippo (Boulder, CO)

Discussion Thread

whippo6 2002-10-14 09:58:46 UTC Clifton Precision Servo Specs w.higdon@a... 2002-10-14 10:25:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Clifton Precision Servo Specs Steven Ciciora 2002-10-14 10:30:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Clifton Precision Servo Specs JanRwl@A... 2002-10-14 11:19:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Clifton Precision Servo Specs whippo6 2002-10-15 21:52:08 UTC Re: Clifton Precision Servo Specs Steven Ciciora 2002-10-16 08:24:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Clifton Precision Servo Specs