CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Reviving my mill (EMC)

Posted by bschwand
on 2002-11-07 12:01:12 UTC
from the startx manpage:

The .xinitrc is typically a shell script which starts many
clients according to the user's preference. When this
shell script exits, startx kills the server and performs
any other session shutdown needed. Most of the clients
started by .xinitrc should be run in the background. The
last client should run in the foreground; when it exits,
the session will exit. People often choose a session man-
ager, window manager, or xterm as the ''magic'' client.

i.e. put whatever you want to run in .xinitrc
if it is only a regular program, no window manager, that is the only
thing that will run.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "William Scalione" <wscalione@n...>
wrote:
> Hi Ray,
>
> I once did a linux install on my laptop and somehow cobbed it up, so
when I
> did a startx I got
> X to start with no window manager, just X and a terminal window came
up.
> Typing startkde in the terminal window would then start kde. Anyway,
what
> I'm getting at is (I never tried this) could I have started TkEMC
from the
> terminal and run it without a window manager? That would save quite
a bit of
> space if you cant fit a wm
>

> Bill
>
> PS I have been real busy lately (new baby and lots of work) and have
had no
> time for further development of the touch screen GUI, Hope to get
back to it
> soon. I do use it on my machine though, when I find the time to run
it.

> > I'm with you in wanting a "wristwatch" version. The kernel, even
with
> > the real time extensions runs to less than a meg. If we left off
the
> > x-windows and windows managers, expanded the EMC's text mode
interfaces
> > with key bindings, and used multitasking terminals for viewing and
> > working with the parts of a running system we should be able to
build a
> > compressed, run time binary that would fit on that 4 meg flash. I
once
> > made a compressed single personality version of the EMC code that
fit on
> > and ran from a floppy.
> >
> > I worked a bit with a SBC supplier who thought that we should be
able to
> > push it all into a 32 Meg flash and that included x-windows a
window
> > manager, tickle, and the EMC.

Discussion Thread

John Murphy 2002-11-06 18:04:04 UTC Reviving my mill (EMC) William Scalione 2002-11-06 18:30:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Reviving my mill (EMC) Ray Henry 2002-11-07 06:54:25 UTC Re: Reviving my mill (EMC) William Scalione 2002-11-07 07:53:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Reviving my mill (EMC) Dave Lantz 2002-11-07 09:17:56 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Reviving my mill (EMC) bschwand 2002-11-07 12:01:12 UTC Re: Reviving my mill (EMC)