CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Excess material

Posted by Peter
on 2002-11-07 19:37:04 UTC
Hi PJH,

The way Visual Mill adresses this (and probably other CAM softaware) is
that you define the size of your "stock" which is your square (or other
shape) block of material. You then specify where your part is
positioned within the stock. Starting with roughing and progressing to
finishing cuts, VM then calculates all of the moves that are required to
remove the unwanted material while observing the feed rates and step
rate you specify (such as step across say 20% of tool diameter and say
15% of tool dia down) you can be as gentle or agressive as you want. To
address the issue of fixtures, you have to define "out of bounds"
regions that the tool cannot enter. This is where your tool clamps etc
are located.

I almost always set my 0,0,0 point as the top,back, right most corner of
my stock. Being consistent helps beduce "brain freeze" and reduces tool
crashes etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Peter