CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Excess material

on 2002-11-08 15:57:50 UTC
I don't use Dolphin or Master-5, but most commands are
rather generic. Most programs for 2-D cad allow for
different layers to represent different depths. You may
just have to do some 'hand-editing', though. Always, make
sure that the top surface of the stock is Z0.000, and make
all X & Y moves that are outside of your cutting path at
Z0.100, or higher. It is not unusual to take several
profile cuts to get to the desired depth of a cut. I use a
helical downfeed for internal pockets, choosing a cutter
that's small enough to accomplish the cut while still
staying inside the pocket's walls. Sometimes, instead, I
use an incremental loop, back-and-forth, to 'ramp' in to a
particular area.

RayHex
----------
> From: P. J. Hicks <hickspj467@...>
>
> Hello all,
>
> I am learning to use Dolphin and Master5 on a Sherline.
Have not really made any parts yet; been cutting air.

> Let's say you have a square block of material and want a
part machined from the central area. You create the
drawing, designate the contour(s) etc in the CAD section.
You then invoke the CAM program and generate the Gcode.
This code causes the cutter to follow the contour of the
desired part. In many or even most cases there is a lot of
material outside the contour that is in way of the cutter
and interferers with the cutter's path. In other cases the
code might ask for an increasing depth or some such that
would overstress the cutter or setup. How is this handled?
I am aware of the multiple cut/pass settings but wonder
about the scrap material interfereance. Thanks,

Discussion Thread

P. J. Hicks 2002-11-07 11:08:34 UTC Excess material Peter 2002-11-07 19:37:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Excess material Raymond Heckert 2002-11-08 15:57:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Excess material stevenson_engineers 2002-11-08 16:10:10 UTC Re: Excess material cheng076 2002-11-08 19:53:15 UTC Excess material