CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: New Setup

Posted by echnidna
on 2002-11-14 17:34:07 UTC
Hi,
I think most of us on this list would have to agree with James.
There are so many different aspects of CNC that its more practical to get something going then tinker with it after its actually working.
Just the actual mechanical works can be very time consuming.
As could the electronics if thats your passion
or just learning and using various cad\cam software packages
or doing the programming yourself

So make it work firstly, then try to make it go better
And have fun doing it.
Regards
Bob Thomas

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "James Owens" <wotisname@l...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question for you, why do you want to reinvent the wheel with a toy machine? This is a rhetorical question and not meant to cause offence to you or other Sherline users.
>
> The internet and this list has all of the answers you need to achieve a CNC solution on this machine without you going to the lengths of designing your own electronics and software. I can understand you wanting to save money but most of what you require is free or for a small sum as shareware. Let me start at the beginning.
>
> You have your light-weight table-top machine. It has very little bulk and if you cough in its direction the head will flap about and does not come with ball-screws to drive the slides. This maybe an exaggeration but you get my drift. The first thing to look at is the way the slides are being moved and to remove as much backlash as possible within your budget. Either throw away the slide nut and make a new one from something like Moglice or fit ball-screws. Next there is the question of driving the leadscrews, servos or steppers.
>
> To keep it simple you are looking at steppers with a chopper driver board. A stepper of 200 steps per revolution on a 14 threads/inch leadscrew will give you steps of 0.00035", if you half step the motor this goes down to 0.00017" which is pretty small. A chopper driver board was published on this list a few months ago. Dan Mauch @ Camtronics does one which will drive all the axis and then there is the Gecko's. I have found a number of circuits using various chips on the internet. No encoder feed-back is required, your driver boards and steppers should be man enough not to lose steps unless you zap them with a pulse train too fast for them to keep up. For software look at TurboCNC, Kellyware or any number of free/shareware programs. All of these drive the chopper boards directly from the parallel port with no extra programming require except setting up. Finally there is the biggy EMC which is free as well. CAM is the next thing in the line, but you haven't asked this question.

> [...]

abbylynx 2002-11-14 07:35:46 UTC New Setup caudlet 2002-11-14 08:20:19 UTC Re: New Setup Art 2002-11-14 14:55:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New Setup James Owens 2002-11-14 16:47:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] New Setup echnidna 2002-11-14 17:34:07 UTC Re: New Setup Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-11-14 17:42:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] New Setup JJ 2002-11-15 04:32:15 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] New Setup abbylynx 2002-11-15 10:32:59 UTC Re: New Setup