CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Mastercam post pro

Posted by Marcus & Eva
on 2002-11-25 19:08:01 UTC
Hi Patrick:

Postprocessors in Mastercam area real cast iron bitch to write if you don't
know their syntax, and those dirty buggers at CNC Software Inc won't give
you any help at all.
They used to publish a post processor manual but dropped this practice after
version 6 when it became apparent to them that they could make LOADS of cash
by holding users hostage for posts.
So...like almost all machine shops, you're on your own if you want to roll
your own.
You'll get nothing but stupid platitudes if you ask the boys for help (along
with raised palms in the "give me cash position").

Here's what I've done: (Yes Tim, I'm legal on MasterScam too)
First, you've got to know how your controller reads G code...everything from
what headers and footers to how it reads I and J words, to whether it needs
decimals or not, etc etc.
Next, you've got to find a post that's reasonably close.
The best way to do this is to output some simple stuff from each of the
posts you have got access to (There is a large post library that comes with
Mastercam but many of these posts are not set up too well and will output
some "funny stuff". You can also download "educational" posts from time to
time from the net.)
Next, you doodle with the post file (it's just a text file and will edit in
Notepad) by trial and error until you figure out what to add or delete or
fiddle to get it to output the code your machine needs.
If there's a feature in one post that you'd like, ( perhaps the ability to
add the tool dimensions at each tool change) you can cut and paste it from a
post that you know will do what you want.
After many hours and many curses, you will have your post, and a smattering
of an understanding of the syntax which you will promptly forget again.
Everyone I know does it this way...and everyone I know is aggravated at
Mastercam for turning this into an after-purchase "stick- it- to-'em-
again".
By contrast, Featuremill has a beautiful little utility that will allow you
to scratch-write a nice post from a conversational type menu...too bad the
program itself is so much less powerful than Mastercam.

The other alternative is to cough up the bucks.
Cheers

Marcus