CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC Software Question

Posted by jeffalanp
on 2002-11-28 09:50:54 UTC
Hello Kim,
I can only comment on the MAXPRO software for step and direction.

As I was fitting my machine together, I wanted to do a little testing
before everything was all tightened down. This meant a little more
backlash in the system than I wanted, but I figured I would take care
of that with backlash comp in the software. I am using a 8 microstep
per step stepper drive. The MAXPRO software only allows up to 256
steps of backlash compensation. Thus, in my case, 32 full steps of
comp. Granted, this is a large amount of backlash that really
shouldn't be there, but the software SHOULD be able to handle that.
It couldn't.

I talked with the folks at MAXNC and they said the DLX version can
handle 16 bits (rather than 8 bits) of compensation. I haven't
tested this so I can't say for sure.

MAXPRO is VERY DOS like. If the reason you want to stick with DOS is
to use an older computer, OK I understand, I'm the same way, but, if
you are putting a new system together, I would suggest saving a
little longer, getting a newer computer and going with something like
Master5 or Mach1. (www.artofcnc.ca)

Other than that, as a GCODE processor to Step & Dir signals, it works
fine. I paid for it, so I use it. No bells & whistles but that's OK.

My 2 cents on MAXPRO

Jeff
www.xylotex.com

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "kimvellore" <kim@b...> wrote:
> I have finally completed building the controller with Gecko and
> connected the Mill to it. Now I am trying out different software to
> see which I will feel comfortable with. I tried the Flashcut to
> convert DXF to G-code and use TurboCnc to run the tool I am
> comfortable with it and like it but I also wanted to try the MAXNC
> which does both in one program but could not find a demo version
for
> it, so folks using MAXNC could you please comment on how you feel
> about the software? Also let me know if you have any other
> recommendations for a hobby machinist. I am using a Sherline lathe
and
> endmill and would prefer a DOS program.
>
> Thanks
> Kim

Discussion Thread

kimvellore 2002-11-28 09:26:18 UTC CNC Software Question Egroupscdh (E-mail) 2002-11-28 09:49:57 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Software Question jeffalanp 2002-11-28 09:50:54 UTC Re: CNC Software Question Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-11-28 10:24:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Software Question Tim Goldstein 2002-11-28 10:29:44 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CNC Software Question James Cullins 2002-11-28 12:12:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Software Question James Cullins 2002-11-28 12:12:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Software Question